Belkin Router MAC Filter Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuvpal

Solid State Member
Hi

I installed a Belkin wireless router at home a while back now, and I just found someone else using my network.

So I tried to use the built in belkin MAC address filter which is supposed to only allow the MAC addresses added (or so it says).

BUT for some unknown reason its doing exactly the opposite, each MAC address I add to the filter can no longer connect, which to me doesn't make sense.

does anyone have a clue? or is there any other way of only allowing certain computers to access the router?

thanks in advance

nsss

The MAC address you enter will be determine by the action you enabled.

Allow or Deny

Check your settings again.

there is no option that i can see to block or allow, all it says is:

Firewall > MAC Address Filtering

This feature lets you set up a list of allowed clients. When you enable this feature, you must enter the MAC address of each client on your network to allow network access to each.

User Name: (input box)
MAC Address: (input boxes)

Add (button)

thats it, but as i said, the MACs i add seem to be the ones that get blocked

That doesn't make any sense why you shouldn't be able to get connected, unless you specify the wrong MAC address.

If you think you're doing it right, then it might just be the firmware fault or a bug. Don't just rely on that one feature to secure your wireless network.

Look at this site to help secure your network http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_secure.htm

I'm just curious to know. Can you post a screen shot of the setting and tell me what's the model of the Belkin router?

cheers for that site, looks very helpful so i shall read through it.

my router is a Belkin F5D7633-4

what setting would you like the screenshot of? isn't it bad if i broadcast my settings to the internet? should i make sure not to show certain settings in the screenshot?

Well the reason the MAC filtering doesn't work correctly is because of a bad firmware. I'm not sure if you have the latest firmware but you should get it. Belkin has known about this issue since April of 2005 and I'm pretty sure they already release a firmware that resolve this issue. So check for the new firmware and update your router.

oh, cheers man, i guess i'll update the firmware then.

thanks for all your help bruv, its greatly appreciated

ok, i upgraded the firmware and its solved the problem
thanks alot man

nuvpal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom