Belkin Router dropping connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaPurpleRT

Baseband Member
So I got a new Belkin as my old Linsys router finally died (I didn't choose it, was actually part of a deal where I got a laptop from my cousin, I would've gotten Linksys). But anyways, got the vista laptop and nearly every time it goes into hibernation/standby and comes out, it wont connect. It still sees the network fine but refuses to connect. flashes straigh tto can't connect. I turn the internal switch on and off, disable and enable the connection, re-enter wpa password, no good, netsh no luck.... powercycle router and it connects! Also if I reboot the laptop it will connect...

WHat's going on? I updated firmware on router, thought it helped but it started doing the same thing. Also, XP machine with Linksys wireless usb adapter drops connection sometimes too.

Ideas fellas??

(PS: Im at work, can get router model number later when I get home).

How about you try these options:

For the router
*Use another network name of your network (name that you have not used before, 4-6 characters only)
*Try changing the wireless channel of your router between 6 and 11.
*Ask for the best wireless security for the router which will not affect the wireless performance of the router - In D-Link router, I only used WEP 10 Hex digits, 64bit because of some firmware issues of the router.

For the laptop:
*Assign a static IP address on your Wireless network connection (VISTA configuration).
- Go to Control Panel, and Click Network and Internet
- Click Manage Network Connections on the left side
- Right click on the Wireless Network Connection and select Properties
- On the list box, double click Internet Protocol version 4 TCP/IPv4 (or select it then click the Properties button)
- Select Use the following IP address
- Enter an IP address (for example, the IP address of the router is 192.168.1.1, just copy the 3 set of numbers then enter any number between 2-99 on the last set (e.g. IP address=192.168.1.10 or 192.168.1.83
- Enter the subnet mask (255.255.255.0)
- Enter the Default Gateway (the IP address of your router)
- Enter Preferred DNS (the IP address of your router) Alternate DNS is blank.
- Click OK then Ok again on the other window.

(Note: If you are using the laptop on some other networks - like office, library, cafe, etc., just bring back the configuration to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically". Same procedure above but select the option specify with the quotation mark)

*Or try:
- Right click on the Wireless Network Connection and select Properties
- Go to Authentication tab and remove the check that says "Enable IEEE 802.1X Authentication" (Sometimes Authentication tab was not present on the Properties, so just ignore this one)
- Click OK.

Hope this will help you. :D

No luck, also a desktop keeps dropping out in the middle of online games even with good signal.. Kinda sucks.

Well that just blows. LOL. Where are you loctaed by the way? I went to BSCTC in Pikeville a couple years before I transferred to Pikeville College where I am now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom