belkin pre-N MODEM help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hello

I have a belkin pre_N MODEM, instead of using the wan port on the belkin pre-n modem i am connecting the usb adsl modem to my pc and then connecting the pc to one of the lan ports on the belkin pre-n modem

I have connected my pc to the ethernet port of a belkin pre-n ADSL MODEM (can not use the ADSL functionality of the pre-n since my ADSL MODEM output is USB), the on, wireless and LAN light are green on the pre-n modem,
in such a configuration, has a wireless lan been established, i tried searching for the wireless lan using my laptop, came across 6 wireless LANs, dont think any of them is mine. is there any way i can know what is the name of the network which will be setup once the pre-N ADSL MODEM is set up.

i tried to use the installation cd which came with the MODEM but the installation instructions only seem to be for a setup where the Pre-N Belkin is used in conjunction with the ADSL MODEM, can you guys/gals tell me how to get the pre-N work in just wired ethernet/weireless ethernet mode?

Ok,

I just searhed (briefly) the belkin website, and I am not seeing that they have a Pre-N modem. Is this just a Pre-N Router?

As I understand it your setup is as follows, correct?

ISP-------modem-----(usb)---PC-----Belkin ~ ~ ~ ~ (wireless hosts)

- wire
~ wireless signal...

What you need to do to configure the router is log onto the computer that is connected to it, and enter the rotuer's IP address in your internet browser.

To find the IP address, open a command window and perform an IPCONFIG /ALL command, and the DEFAULT GATEWAY is the router's IP address.... usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. This default IP address should also be listed in the user manual for the router.

thanks for the reply ethereal

it is a pre-N router and the setup you mentioend is correct

ISP-------modem-----(usb)---PC-----Belkin ~ ~ ~ ~ (wireless hosts)

i located the default gateway and can access the properties of thr outer.

the belkin router has got 5 fixed ports

1 for the WAN and 4 for the LAN.

i was wondering if it ws possible for me to do this

ISP-------modem-----(usb)---PC-----(LAN port1)Belkin
(wireless port)belkin--laptop

and then access the internet from my laptop

i can connect to the wireless network offered by the belkin pre-n router but dont know what to do after that. can you tell me what to do next?

or is it a must to do the following

ISP-------modem-----(usb)---PC-----(WAN port)Belkin

and then attah the laptop to the wireless LAN port of the belkin pre-n router?

i tried to connect two computers to the router using the ethernet ports

the first computer (connected to the ADSL router through the USB port) which i plugged into the wan port does not commmunicate with 192.168.1.2, it does not show a gateway address, when i tried ipconfig/all, the default gateway: (is left blank)
this is what i got when i did an ipconfig/all

C:\Documents and Settings\Rob>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : talas-fb113tpag
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC