Belkin High Speed Mode Wireless Modem/Router Network Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blo

Baseband Member
Can't access either PC's Files or share printer... Although now i know why i think - Could someone please read thru this and advise. Cheers.
Note: (Internet Connections working fine).

I got the above Stand-alone Modem/Router which sets itself up without installing drivers, and which uses a web-based control panel.
The manual's are useless, and there's not much info relating to these models on the net, so i'm stuck! Belkin uses a hardware firewall - Manages it's own settings, and does NOT say whether to run the Windows Network Setup Wizard after running the belkin one!
QUESTION 1 - DO I RUN WINDOWS' OWN NETWORK WIZARD?
I use an RJ45 connection to main PC (With 3 users + Admin Account)- And a Belkin USB Wireless Adaptor on 2nd PC which has 1 user + Admin Account.(The USB Wireless adaptor software installed OK)...
AT TIME OF SETUP, I HAD NOT RUN THE NETWORK I.D. WIZARD ON THE MAIN PC - AND I DIDN'T HAVE FILE+PRINTER SHARING ENABLED ON IT EITHER... (Although simple file sharing WAS enabled).

This may help you out...
I can click on My Network Places - Click on 'View Workgroup Computers' in the Explorer Bar. I then try to explore the Upstairs PC, and get a Password box pop-up. The Username is greyed-out, but says: ATHLON2/Guest (Athlon2 is PC Upstairs)... i've tried every password unsuccessfully, including a blank password.
*.I was told to change a setting in Admin Tools/Local Security Settings/Accounts... Limit local account use of blank passwords to console login only. I Disabled this setting.* - But have tried it both ways!
Something else:
When on upstairs PC, i go into the Belkin Wireless Utility, and have noticed that the Network Name + Profile Name are the same. (Default name: belkin54g)! Should they be different?
And the other thing is: In the same utility, (on Upstairs PC) there is a drop-down box which is set to 'Access Point' - But could be either changed to Peer to Peer... Or even create a new Peer2Peer profile.
In the notification area on my main PC, i have a Network and a seperate Internet connection icon.
On 2nd PC, i've got icons for Wireless Network Connection, which i assume is the windows wireless settings, as when i click on it, then click on "View Available Wireless Networks", it tells me: "Windows cannot configure this connection... If another program is managing this connection, then use that program... Zero Configuration Service would need to be enabled".
Rest my cursor on the other icon and it says - Connect to network (belkin54g / Access point) - And if i d/click it... It takes me to Belkins' USB Wireless Utility!(Mentioned Above).

Also: When i got this PC, i can remember disabling, or setting to manual some services which i thought i'd never need - Some of which were related to Networking!
Here are some settings (Control Panel/Admin Tools/Services), which may, or may NOT be correct:
Alerter - Disabled
Net Logon - Manual
Smart Card - Manual
SSDC Recovery Service - Started (Manual)
Universal Plug and Play Device Host - (Manual)
QUESTION:
I've worked thru network requirements checklist but as i say, have NOT ran the windows network setup wizard... IS THIS ALL I HAVE TO DO? ... Making sure printer is switched on at the time.

Any detailed help would do - I don't need pointing to File Sharing Help/Network Checklists etc. - Just answers on questions above + any other observations.
Many thanks - Blow.

Here's where i got to...
In My Network Places there was only 'My websites on MSN' visible.(NO Shared Folders).
I could see both PC's in the My Network Places/View workgroup computers folder but couldn't browse/open the other PC because a password prompt kept popping-up with a greyed-out username box, and i couldn't figure out the password.
I've ran Windows Network setup wizard on both PC's since the above, and although everythings ok with the shared folders - And I can share the printer, Windows firewall has switched itself on Meaning i have TWO firewalls - One hardware based, (In router), and the windows one, (Both switched on)!
UPnP is set to MANUAL in windows AND i'd previously switched it on in the belkin utility.
NAT (Whatever that is... Is switched on, in the belkin web based utility too.
I think that in the first instance, i should have just enabled remote file sharing on both computers manually, and that might have done the trick, but NO, i had to run the bloomin' windows network setup wizard too didn't i! (It says: if you understand the risk, but still want to remotely share this folder... Is this what i should have done?
So - To recap...
Question 1.
Should i get back to where i was before running windows network setup wizard somehow (system restore maybe)... On both pc's, and then share folders manually?
Question 2.
Should i just switch off windows firewall, or belkin firewall?
Question 3.
Do i NEED universal plug n Play enabled... Remember i want to share printer, Scanner, and shared docs folder etc.
Question 4. Why can't i see my scanner (Attached to main PC) from PC upstairs.
Any help greatly appreciated!

universal plug n play doesn't need to be enabled - - Is this right with my shared printer?
Passwords OK - I don't need any because of the registry tweak i did...
Unfortunately, i know that i've made a mistake in running the Windows Network Setup Wizard!
As i have a Hardware Firewall in the router, (Hardware Firewall's are apparently better than software based Firewall's anyway), and the fact that, during an online-help - Messenger type Session, I was told by a Belkin engineer, that Windows firewall was NOT compatible with this Modem/Router, and although the access point would work - The File Sharing WOULD NOT!
I'm pretty sure that i chose one of the wrong options during Net. Set. Wizard anyway, but it's amazing that the NETWORK IS WORKING!

Even when i'm surfing the internet, i have NO internet connnection visible, anywhere at all.
This has to-do with me running the wizard instead of just sharing the files i guess, ( I should have just accepted the security risks that are mentioned because that was being taken care of by the belkin side of things)... And windows firewall etc would have remained OFF... Which it was, BEFORE i ran the wizard!

I know you've just advised me to get on with it THE WINDOWS WAY. But belkin say different... So, What, What, What should i do - Get back to where i was - Then start again?
Mant thanks. Blo.

I got so bored waiting for assistance, that i'll try answer this myself...
Use the belkin setup wizard to install this Modem/Router... No matter what your told!
A Belkin Live Help engineer told me that this product WILL NOT work properly with windows firewall switched on... So don't try it until you know there are updated drivers for it.
Before Install!
Make sure printer is set to "Shared" by clicking it's properties, Click on Share this Printer, but WITHOUT running the windows network setup wizard.
Do the same to Share your shared folders on a network - (Which is also switched off by default)
Using Windows Network Setup Wizard after Installing the Belkin way, may Delete your internet connection, and mess-up all of your settings if you don't choose the correct options for your setup. The Modem/Router manages security, and the hardware firewall onboard is more than capable of doing windows' Firewalls job.
There you go -
Thanks for the help... (As I Thank Myself)... Blo.
P.S. Use the save settings option on your settings web-page. It works a treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom