Belkin + AOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetWood

Beta member
I'm trying to network 2 desktop pc together. I'm not using a router because this computer is on all the time.

I'm using 802.11g wireless desktop network card and the wireless G USB network adapter.

The signal is fine. The file sharing is working to some extent. You can see the folders I'm sharing but when I try and assess them on the computer, which needs the Internet, I get "You might not have permission to use this network resource contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have permission. The network path was not found"

I've gone into control panel and network connections and clicked the box "Allow other network users to connect though this computers internet connection" on the pc with the internet

I'm also on AOL

Any help would be appreciative

m trying to network 2 desktop pc together. I'm not using a router because this computer is on all the time.
that is a bad assumption... get a router to protect your sef from all of the crap that is out there. It's a simple way to help keep yourself atleast a little safer. That's like saying I don't use a condom, I pull out. I know that may be alittle off color, but it's a good way to get the idea. A router is the first line of defense.

ICS is crap btw, and to anyone that says differently, I'll prove them wrong...

Re:

Hello, (btw Inaris...good comparison :p :D )

Firstly, what Operating Systems do you have installed on your machines? You can't share AOL in ad-hoc mode (one to one mode), especially with ICS. In order for both your computers to connect to the Internet, you'd need a router. Plus, nearly all routers come with in-built hardware firewalls, which are pretty good at protecting. It would also allow you to manage your network more easily.

You can't share your AOL Internet in ad-hoc mode simply because you need an external IP address, shadowed and seperate from an internal IP address. Also, you'd need a DHCP server for easier configuration...something a router is very handy for :D.

if you have the money to get a wireless card and router why dont you invest in something other than the worst internet service available... try broadband.... NOT aol for broadband.. but an actual DSL...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom