Basic FTP Software Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

barpab

Beta member
hi all, i've just register to ask one question.-
what's the best option when it comes to home->ftp<-work.
I have a very annoying firewall at work to basic guesses of mine like filezilla server didn't work.

what could I use to have access to my home files from work?

thank you all.

FTP is going to be the most basic you can get. This would be due to your IT department blocking you with the firewall. If there is no way for you to get access to it then there isnt much you can do. The firewall will be your stopping point no matter what you try.

You could upload to a file storage site. There are myriads of them, so surely you can find a couple that you can access.

there's got to be a way for me to manage files at home...

No. Not really. If the IT people are good they can block access to outside machines and networks. Which is the point of having a IT department and a secure network. If you could access your personal PC there is no saying what damage could be done to their network from a hacker.

This is what IT departments are designed to do. Secure the network so that there is no unauthorized access. Be it from the outside or inside.

Seems they have done their job.

yes thats perfect mak213.
i do have user/pass for the proxy. i just wanted to hear some suggestions for higly configurable ftp clients. or any other protocol...

how about ms remote desktop? i don't know it, do you? it is good?

or HAMACHI? something like that would be nice....

Remote Desktop most likely wont work. Remote Desktop uses a different port than that used by Windows Services and Internet. It is used in the 3,000 range which if they block FTP they mostly likely will have that blocked as well.

There are not many highly configurable clients. There is FileZilla, SmartFTP, FlashFXP and a few more. But none are going to help you get by their firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom