Bandwith Sizes for Pc Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikoman69

Daemon Poster
Living where i live, my choices are dial up, or a small local expensive fixed wireless service. I was thinking of switching to the fixed wireless service. For ping, ive tested it at my friends house, its around 50 +/-10 which is playable. He runs xbox live on it, and sometimes the latency meter goes to yellow, but always back to green when there is no action. From what i understand, your upstream to a game never changes no matter how many players are in the game, since its still only uploading your current status, but your downstream goes up (Depending on the game from what ive read) with more players, as it has to send you information about each player, and in some games it just sends you a server state with all player info. Anyway, what im trying to figure out now, is if the down/upstream speeds are good enough.
Speeds avaible are
384/128 35/month
512/128 45/month
768/256 60/month

Im asking this time in regards to gaming. Ive read mixed things on the internet, some saying that you only need about 40k(About 4kb/s) up and 100k(About 10kb/s) down for average games to run well online, and some saying that anything less then a 1mb downstream will be crap for gaming.

They are right. Both of them. It all depends on 2 major factors. 1 you connection to the nearest data center. IF oyu are close you connection will be faster and you wont have to worry as you will connect to games faster and not have to worry about lag or anything. If you are further away from the data center then you will need a faster connection as you will not have such a fast speed.

the 2nd factor is the server hosting the game. If you are in the UK and the server is in the USA then your latency will be high no matter how fast your connection is as the signal has to travel that far.

So you have to take into account everything. It isnt just about having raw internet speed. It is also about your latency withthe game servers and where those servers are located.

I have a 4Mb package and there are some days when even i can not connect to games. The latency is so high cause there is so much traffic on the ISP network that my latency is so high it lags like crazy.

HAving faster net will help. But it is not the end all of game speed.

35$/month one is good enough. I have 1900kb/s down and 700kb/s up.. and I usually stay in the 20's +/- 5 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom