Bandwidth shaping appliances

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsisgreat

Solid State Member
I'm looking at options for bandwidth shaping. There are a few options out there and a wide variety in price. I don't want to pay a ton for packeteer when something more affordable like netequalizer will work. Anyone had experience with these...or any others? We have about 1,000 users.

Can you be more specific about what specifically you are trying to shape, and what kind of hardware your network is using? Some higher end enterprise equipment is able to traffic shape at the port level, no special software needed.

I assume you mean Internet Limiting for that I use NetLimiter it's free but you will have to pay for the PRO.

Yes, I'm looking to shape internet traffic -- mainly for the purpose of reducing congestion caused by music/video downloads. People are free to do that kind of thing, but it can get to be a problem some times.

I've heard that shaping by port can be unreliable when battling applications that deliberatly tunnel through http.

I was looking for a specialized piece of equipment. Not
an add on to my router.

I bought my first NetEqualizer when I upgraded from a 2 Mbit to a 10 Mbit line. I'd been using Packeteer, but the NetEqualizer has proven much more affordable and efficient. It's been low maintenance and customizable and the tech support has been good when needed.

It's worked for me, so I'd say try it and see what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom