Bandwidth distribution on a wireless router

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrytewkesbury

Baseband Member
Hello! No, this isnt another "i can't get my wireless network working!" post. Its more of a curious question. I understand that any wireless router functions as a switch, ie that net packet flows are distributed amongst those who are connected to it. However, how strict are routers when it comes to actually dishing out the bandwidth out to respective clients? I am with three other frequent users on the same router, but although we can all connect at the same time, if one person hogs the bandwidth, they take the whole kit and caboodle! This occurs often to the extent that my net traffic is denied totally (funnily enough this is no issue with the person with a Mac... damnned Microsoft networking :p). Anybody have any insight?

Some newer consumer routers have QoS support, which will let you manage bandwidth allocation. If you have a Linusys wireless router, you can grab hacked firmware for it. If neither is an option, you can set up a cheap Linux box to do it.

To do real bandwidth allocation you can get a Cisco router for about £3500. They have nice features.

Your Linksys router is probably just splitting it as first come first serve. I notice that when downloading on one computer, I can sometimes barely browse the net on the other. You could get some software to slow down the Internet speed on the other computers, works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom