Bandwidth controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was reading about router throttling and for what i understood we can only control(of course) in terms of bandwidth, the upload bandwidth, prioritizing packets that go out.
so my question is how can this reflect on the download bandwidth limitation per client on the network(like mac priorization and so on)?
isnt this only possible to control on the isp part?

The ISP isn't able to see the MAC addresses of the machines on your network. Only the broadband modem (or CSU/DSU if it is a leased line) and possible the router, if that info is passed on to the ISP.

If you have a small/medium business, I would recommend either a software that would limit bandwidth useage, or have the IT ADMIN go into the PC's that are hogging the bandwidth, and restrict user access to add/install software (assuming of course that the traffic is non-business related). If it is business related, then you obviously don't want to LIMIT their bandwidth use, you will want to implement QoS to gives those host's connected to "HQ" the higher priority to send their data.

Ok, but i'm interesting on knowing how router throttling can only control(of course) in terms of bandwidth, the upload bandwidth, prioritizing packets that go out and how this priorization afects the download bandwidth on clients behind the router.
Resuming, its possible to control the data that you send out to the isp(thus controling the upload speed) but how can this afect on the download speed on the clients?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom