Bandwidth Cap Killing Me :C

IntelFanboy417

In Runtime
Hey guys,
I use Comcast for my internet service provider, and I just found out that they have a 250gb bandwidth cap. Now they say that they have "Suspended" the cap temporarily, however after on the phone call with comcast support, I found that if I do go over the limit a few times they will cut off my service. The comcast support lady got very defensive when I asked why they have a bandwidth cap, and said "Most of our customers use about 16gb of bandwidth a month." I just laughed. 16gb a month? Yea maybe if all you do is check your emails once a day. I can easily go over 30gb in just a few days. Anyway Verizon offers a plan that has unlimited bandwidth. I would like to switch however since my dad pays the bills it would have to go through him, and he doesn't want to change service providers due to the cancellation cost. In the end, give me your opinion on the BS they gave me with 16gb of normal usage and let me know if you have had any experience with Comcast. Also anyone know a good way to persuade my dad into switching service providers? Thanks

I don't know about persuading your dad... it's his choice since he is paying the bills. Unless you fronted the cash for the cancellation and cost to install the new provider (if any), I don't see why he would switch if it suits his needs :p

But I also have comcast and only noticed that there was a bandwidth cap last month. I am assuming we have been using up more than the bandwidth cap since we signed up with them and still have service so...yea. I do notice that our internet tends to slow down immensely at times and I am chalking it up to additional restrictions of some sort.

As for the 16 gb limit... My family and I are constantly on the internet. Mix that between YouTube (ALOT of YouTube and Video Streaming), websurfing, Reading forums, Gaming... I am also working on game development with a group in school and our files grow very large. Occasional uploading and downloading of 25 gb files, I wouldn't be surprised if we use 10 GB a day (days I don't meet with my group of course).

I was 3/4th of a month through when I found out about the bandwith cap. I was at 355 GB used out of 250 GB.

oh man my first month with AT&T after they put the data cap in place I was at like 800GB out of the allotted 150.

I switched to Brighthouse the month after and never looked back... 10x faster speeds and no caps? Yes please.

Thanks again for the responses, I'll go see how much Im willing to spend for the cancellation cost, however I'm probably not going to switch providers until Comcast really gives me a letter saying that I went over my bandwidth and wow iFargle 150gb???? Thats just ._. no wonder you switched xD

Most service providers place a data cap due to the amout of users on the system and the fact that sooo many are doing gaming, video down loads etc.

The more users that use the larger down load service's, place more load on the system and that slows the system down for every body.

If you are really into using large data loads, and your father is paying the bill, then I have two recommandations:

1) slow down your useage, 2) go to a differant provider and intall the service in YOUR name.

If you do not wish to do either, then live withing the limits.

Most service providers place a data cap due to the amout of users on the system and the fact that sooo many are doing gaming, video down loads etc.

The more users that use the larger down load service's, place more load on the system and that slows the system down for every body.

If you are really into using large data loads, and your father is paying the bill, then I have two recommandations:

1) slow down your useage, 2) go to a differant provider and intall the service in YOUR name.

If you do not wish to do either, then live withing the limits.
Ok thanks, makes sense for the company to have these limits. I think I'll go with option 2 because there is no way in hell I can possibly slow down my usage lol. Also I'll look into getting it put in my name as well. Thanks again for responding.

Cancellation cost? Get out of these contracts, FAST!!!

I don't know if Verizon will make you sign a contract, but try getting just month to month.
Also, if you do convince your Dad to switch, don't let him get swindled by the comcast people's offers (if they offer any) to stay around.

Cancellation cost? Get out of these contracts, FAST!!!

I don't know if Verizon will make you sign a contract, but try getting just month to month.
Also, if you do convince your Dad to switch, don't let him get swindled by the comcast people's offers (if they offer any) to stay around.

Yea, the plan we get with verizon is MUCH better. NO contract its month to month. And yea its not even funny how the salespeople can lie right to your face like that....

Google is testing a internet idea it's supposed to be 3 times faster and only $70/month and you cant beat that deal so if you can spend that much a month you should get it when it's open to the public.

Back
Top Bottom