Automatic Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuitarFreak1857

Fully Optimized
I need to configure a PC to update to a server on a domain and when off the domain update from the windows server, how do i configure this? The PCs are user accounts without administrator privileges. So far i've modified a .reg file i found that turns on automatic updates and makes it update to the domain server but how do i set it to switch to microsofts server automatically?

~thanks

There are a few ways to change the download path for Windows and Microsoft Updates (not exactly the same thing). But since you are already changing it via a registry hack then why not create a small script that run every 4 hours or so (or upon login tot he machine.. either locally or by domain) that tries to ping a domain controller or exchange server via the internal network IP address and if it fails then to load the registry hack.. and vise-versa if the test is successful.

There are a few ways to change the download path for Windows and Microsoft Updates (not exactly the same thing). But since you are already changing it via a registry hack then why not create a small script that run every 4 hours or so (or upon login tot he machine.. either locally or by domain) that tries to ping a domain controller or exchange server via the internal network IP address and if it fails then to load the registry hack.. and vise-versa if the test is successful.

I wouldn't know where to start about writing a script for that but that seems like it would work. How can i do that? Or can someone just do it for me....

Well, let's start somewhere else... before we get into the content of a script.. what would you like the script to do? and when? at login? at a certain time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom