ATT uverse in bridge mode

monster12348

In Runtime
alright so I want to use an external router with my ATT Uverse mode/router/piece of crap, 1 because it gets better signals, and 2 because the wireless portion stopped working so I had to order a new one and I need internet right now! So the steps from what I understand are to put the uverse router in open dmz mode and disable the wireless function, which I did, and then after that I have no idea what I'm doing. Do I have to assign a manual dhcp server ip address? If so what do I have to put for ip address and dns server and all that? And then if I manage that what do I have to configure on my linksys router for it to work? If anyone can help me with this I would highly appreciate it. Thanks!

What is the model number? DD-WRT firmware allows you to flash the firmware on some routers and use their open source firmware, which can usually do things like you are mentioning with an easy to use gui.

What you would need to do is probably use DD-WRT as a WDT. So your normal AT&T router will just lease IP addresses from it's normal ports on the back. Disable wifi, then use an open port to connect a new router to your AT&T router. If your new router is capable of expanding your wireless then do so and you are done. If not DD-WRT firmware can easily do it for you.

www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router

I'm using Uverse and I have two routers set up as access points.

There are different ways of doing it, but for me the least hassle meant simply switching off the Uverse wireless (it only has crappy B/G speed anyway) and setting my other routers as access points as opposed to gateways. Wire them to the Uverse gateway through the LAN ports, configure the wireless settings and that's it. If you want to mess around with the config, just make sure only one device has dhcp enabled and use either the IP of your router or your ISP's DNS servers for DNS. Basically, the Uverse gateway functions the same way it always has, it just has the wireless disabled.

Like I said, there are many different ways to do it. I've found the above method to be simplest.

I would also advise against putting your router into open DMZ mode. You're compromising your network security when you really don't need to.

how do I set the other routers as access points instead of gateways? and what do you mean by wire them to the uverse gateway through the lan ports? I mean I connected a lan cable from one of the ports in my uverse to the internet source port on my router, and so I need to disable dhcp on the uverse router correct? And lastly how do I figure out the IP of my router and how do I find my ISP's DNS servers? Sorry I'm not familiar with all this I'm a real hardware noob. By the way the router is a linksys e2000 and the uverse is the small black one model number 3801HGV

When you are connected to the router you can access its web interface through any browser. Linksys routers usually have a default ip of 192.168.1.1 so you'd just enter that into the address bar of your browser. If you don't know the default credentials then you can probably google them. Linksys usually uses admin/password or some variation of that. From there you can view and change all the router's settings. There are a lot of settings, so take your time with it and look through the menus. Just about all modern consumer routers will have the option to put it into access point mode. Looking at my Linksys router's setup page, the option is under Setup > Advanced Routing > Operating Mode. I'm not familiar with the E2000 setup page but it will be something similar.

To use another router as an access point you would connect a cable from one of the Uverse gateway's LAN ports to one of the router's LAN ports. You would leave the WAN/Internet port alone. You would only use the Internet port if you're going to use the router as an actual router/gateway, which means putting the Uverse gateway into bridged mode which would be more of a hassle. You can just keep dhcp enabled on the Uverse gateway.

Viewing your WAN settings will tell you your ISP's DNS server ip addresses as well as your own public ip. In this case you would need to access your Uverse gateway's web interface (assuming that you are using the same method as me by using the gateway as your router and setting the Linksys up as an access point) through a web browser. The ip should be 192.168.1.254. If it's not, just open a command prompt and use the ipconfig /all command. The default gateway will be your router's ip address.

So your saying that i should be able to access the linksys router's settings without having it connected through the internet port? Just connected lan port to lan port it will transmit wireless signals when I put it in access point mode?
Edit- all my router does is flash the power symbol nothing else happens

Right.

Think of it this way - modern consumer routers are actually combo devices. There are wireless access points, switches, and routers. You only need to use internet port if you are using the router function of the Linksys, which you will not be. The Uverse gateway will be handling that. You will be using the access point function on the Linksys, maybe the switch.

Edit- all my router does is flash the power symbol nothing else happens
What do you mean? What are you trying to do when that happens?

Back
Top Bottom