assigning IP's

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyboy123x

Daemon Poster
my set up is as followed:

Comcast Cable internet -->cable modem --> airport extreme base station --> wired computer and wireless computer

so my airport has a LAN connection to my apple, and a wireless connection to my PC. I want to be able to us IIS or other web hosts, and i need to have an IP address of my own, not an assigned on (i think).

for example, my IP is 71.231.xxx.xxx, but it is assigning my PC the IP of 10.0.1.3 (as determined by trial and error as well as ipconfig).

is there any way to type in something like http://71.231.xxx.xxx[10.0.1.3], or something similar.

if not, how can i make it so my computer has a unique ip (without buying a new one, preferably)

i have the IP distributing on, because when it is off, i don't know how to connect to the internet :p

thanks!

edit: oh yea, and btw, i have DHCP enabled (im pretty sure this is wrong) and obvously my IP range is in the 10.0.1.xxx.

editedit: i would also prefer it if there was a way for it to go cable modem --> PC via LAN, and then Apple

my apple isnt as good as my PC and doesn't take advantage of a LAN speed... it has "fast" ethernet, not gigabyte ethernet :p. but in all seriousness, this would be better if it would be wired to my PC and then wireless to my Apple.

thanks!

71.x.y.z is your public ip. this is the address that identifies you on the internet.

10.a.b.c is your private ip. this is the ip that identifies you on your home network.

You can setup a webserver on your home network and connect to it by its private ip. If you wanted to host a site accessible on the inet, you would need to setup routing to your network.

to setup your modem-->pc and have your apple connect the inet as well, you would need to setup Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/ics-install-arch.asp

ok, great

one other question, for future reference...

can i have more than one modem in my house accessing the same cable ISP? for example (to use the diagram again :p)

ISP < MODEM1, MODEM2 --> computer 1 computer 2?

will this cut into my cable quality? will it affect the other modem? (i assume yes?)

ok, well i've decided to go to he1l with it all and buy a hub... or switch...

whats the difference? i've heard thigns about full duplexes and half duplexes.

Also, i realize i have to buy an IP address. I have comcast, who does not offer static IP addresses. Theoretically, could i buy an IP from, lets say, Bombast, and use it with Comcast services? (i.e. can i mix companies?)

Thanks!

You really dont need to buy an IP, if your wan IP changes often you can use a service like dyndns http://www.dyndns.com/ This will resolve your IP to a domain name, say tommyboy.dyndns.com. I think you need to update it every month or so, or whenever your IP changes.

well i dont really need an IP for a web site... i would just like to have a static one so i can KNOW what my IP is

usually comcast IP's get renewed every week once the lease is up. After that, you get a new one or keep your old one.

but can i buy an IP from a different ISP or company?

and what is the difference between a switch and a hub?

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/hubsw.htm :p

im going to get a switch ^^^^

but it doesnt sound like i can buy an IP address from a different company, just by logically thinking about it. Comcasts hooks onto the MAC of the router, which is assigned (a) specific IP address(es)... if comcast doesn't know about these IP's, they won't connect...

please correct me if i am wrong though, as well as the following diagram of my "new" internet connection

IPS --> router --> hub --> wired PC
....................................\--->Router (AirPort Extreme) --> Apple (G5) --> wireless connections

IPS to router, router to hub, hub to PC (wire) as well as hub to Router, Router to Apple (wired), Router to laptops w/ compatible cards

thanks for the help

i can finally run vista... stupid d-link wont make x64 drivers... or even vista drivers for another year for my card. they say its too hard to make drivers again..... :mad: :confused: cause its g/b/a signal, and its a really cool card

thats just what the ignorant tech guy said :p

It sounds like you are trying to overcomplicate your network....

If you have a wireless router right now, as you described in your first post, you are all set... There is no need for an additional router and a hub (or switch) also. If you have 2 routers in your network, then you will have to turn DHCP off on one of them, and it would then essentially be a switch, there-by eliminating the need for purchasing and using a hub.

Yes, if you want a static IP, I believe you will have to purchase it from your ISP. Some ISP's have packages that you can get a static IP.

arg, can't wait to get home... been at work for 10.5 hours...

Yea, all you really need is a wireless router with LAN ports. Most SOHO router come with atleast four LAN port for up to 4 wired computer plus a wireless access point buildin to share among as many wireless client as your DHCP supports.

You can't buy an IP address from a different ISP to work with another. IP addresses are allocated already, different ISP have their own range. But nobody said you can't use two different Internet service.

64bit OS has been around longer than Vista and x64 XP, some companies are just lacking behind in driver support mainly because not everyone is at Vista yet.

"IPS to router, router to hub, hub to PC (wire) as well as hub to Router, Router to Apple (wired), Router to laptops w/ compatible cards"

^All you're really doing is connecting multiply switches together. Your latency would be pretty high on the Apple when it has to get through so many devices. Plus, you'll be spending more money on additonal but unnecessary hardwares. You're network topology would become a nightmare troubleshooting it if you don't know what you are getting into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom