Apparent DNS problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

benoh

Beta member
I have an Advent laptop with windows vista, since i bought it and connected it to a sky wireless network i have been repeatidly loosing my connection every few hours, sometimes it happens every 30 minutes and sometimes i can go a day or two without it happening, but i all i had to do was simply restart my laptop and it would start working again.

but as of last night my internet simply stopped working, this is after no system changes or new installs at all. the other computer's internet that is sharing my wireless is working fine.

when i try to diagnose the problem it says this
"windows cannot find the host name "www.whatever-adress-i-try.com" using DNS.

can any one shed any lighjt on the subjct, please.

To test a DNS issue, when you are connected, write down the IP address of Google.com when you do an nslookup. Then when you lose the connection, simply ping the IP address. If you can sucessfully ping the IP address and not the website URL, that's a DNS problem. If you can't ping either, try pinging the default gateway (your router), if you can't even ping the router then it's not a DNS problem, it's losing its connection from a bad card, incompatible features or interferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom