Apache HTTP server won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disillusion

Daemon Poster
I setup Apache HTTP server by installing it and using my IP adress for the server name. I have also opened port 80 on my router and the Windows firewall. My friend still can't connect to it.

I even turned off BOTH firewalls (router and Windows) and he still couldn't connect to it.

Am I missing a configuration here somewhere?

your friend is connecting over the inet?

if so, you need to setup port forwarding on your router. you will need to tell it to forward traffic on port 80 to your private ip (ipconfig)

your friend will need to connect to your public ip address. open www.whatismyip.com to display.

csamuels said:
your friend is connecting over the inet?

if so, you need to setup port forwarding on your router. you will need to tell it to forward traffic on port 80 to your private ip (ipconfig)

your friend will need to connect to your public ip address. open www.whatismyip.com to display.
Yeah I did that and it didn't work. I turned off the firewall on my router and through Windows and it still didn't work.

Are you sure you set up port forwarding? It is different that turning of your firewalls (which is a bad i idea, trust me i have been in the EXACTLY the same position you are in) or you could set up NAT which tells your router to pretty much send everything to your comp but if you do this i would recommend something better than a windows firewall.

jonmon6691 said:
Are you sure you set up port forwarding? It is different that turning of your firewalls (which is a bad i idea, trust me i have been in the EXACTLY the same position you are in) or you could set up NAT which tells your router to pretty much send everything to your comp but if you do this i would recommend something better than a windows firewall.
Yes, I set up port forwarding and tried it that way. It didn't work.

I would first make sure that other computers in your own network can connect, just to make sure Apache is running properly. Then you can concentrate on the router or your ISP.

Getting the computers on your LAN to connect can isolate your Apache server from the problem.

Hope that gives you some idea. :D

This is wierd because i had the same problem as you. I installed Apache 2.2 on windows home and i couldnt get it to work so i figured the OS was blocking it, you know just one other thing you have to pay more for with xp pr, so i gave it up. But about 2 weeks ago i found a 2.0 installation from an old project (i tried to make my own web proxy) but i found that it was working so i went with it. But i dont know why yours doesnt work, you might try using apache 2.0 and see if that works.

Thanks for the suggestions. Law, I will give that a try but I think I will try out version 2.0 first like jonmon suggested. If I get time tomorrow, I'll try it out.

I tried 2.0 just a second ago and got a friend of mine to try to connect to my IP and it still isn't working. I'm going to talk to my ISP and see if it's something they are blocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom