Is this an AOL issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzjj

Daemon Poster
I have set up a network for someone using AOL - this is in the UK, so it was via ADSL.

The network is working lovely, file and printer sharing is also set up and the router is a Netgear DG834GUK with a built in modem, purely because this is what AOL recommend.

There is no problem connecting to the internet that all works. The problem is:

If i use any browser other than the AOL browser certain pages do not load. An example would be www.hotmail.com. If you enter www.hotmail.com in your browser window it will actually go to something like http://login.passport.net/uilogin.srf?lc=1033&id=2, now there is also the same issue with, it seems, every website that is not at the address actually entered. It just sits there trying to access the site with nothing happening.

This is not down to IE security settings because i have tried them on the lowest possible ones there are.

So surely this is a SP2 screwing up IE issue surely... nope, for several reasons:
1. It all worked fine when it was a single computer using the USB modem supplied by AOL and no settings were changed, windows was not updated or modified.
2. No other browser works either, firefox, Opera and IE all have the same problem, it is only the AOL software that works. Although all of theese browsers can access sites like www.bbc.co.uk, which actually resides at the address www.bbc.co.uk.

This leads me to believe that AOL have some obscure set up on their servers that can only communicate correctly with their software.

Anyone able to shed any light on this one?

Note: for good measure i also updated the routers firmware so it's not that either

well i can tell you that the site you said comes up when you type in hotmail, that's the actual URL for logging in to hotmail. you would NOT see it as www.hotmail.com on the address bar.

What about a hijack this log... also, I know AOL uses a modified winsock service, this is probably the problem right there.

killians45 said:
I know AOL uses a modified winsock service, this is probably the problem right there.
That's interesting. i'll have a look into it.

Spyware was my initial thought, but spyware, virus and hijackthis scans all returned nothing. Plus these sites all worked before the computers were networked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom