Anyone know how to network 2 computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingOfHearts

Baseband Member
I have use simple file sharing enabled.
I ran the network setup wizard on both computers.
They are both using the same workgroup name.
They are using the same internet connection using a cable modem and a router.

I can see the other computer when I am in either one of them, but if I try to connect to it, I get the following error:

\\Gaming-pc is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Any ideas?

Re

In the network properties>"authentication" tab
uncheck the first option. ("enable network....")

If that doesnt work. try installing the IPX/SPX protocol.

Also;
USE the search facility on the forum

Are you actually sharing any files on the compters? this is indicated by the hand underneath it.

Hit the properties button on the network and ensure that File and Printer Sharing for Mocrosoft Networks is checked

Turn off or open the necessary ports in any firewalls sitting on the computers.

When you say connect to id to you mean when you type \\Gaming-pc or are you able to get a list of folders being shared on that pc

I think you are having the exact same problem that I had. I just need to ask you a few questions, and if it is the same problem, Ill tell you exactly what I did.

1. Are you running XP on both computers (if not, what are you running on both machines?)?
2. Do you have home or pro?
3. have you recently formated or reinstalled windows on either computer?
4. are you running a direct link, or through a router?
5. Are you sharing an internet connection, and if so, does that work
6. Do you get this error on both computers, or only one of them?

Dnoch,

1. Yes, XP on both computers.
2. Pro
3. No format or reinstall on either
4. Router
5. Yes, sharing a connnection.
6. Not sure. I have tried with "simple file sharing enabled" and without, I think the error changes when I do that, but I think that I may have been getting the error on one machine only

Thanks for any ideas you have.

KOH.

KingOfHearts said:
Dnoch,

2. Pro
4. Router
6. Not sure. I have tried with "simple file sharing enabled" and without, I think the error changes when I do that, but I think that I may have been getting the error on one machine only

KOH.

On the folder you are trying to share on one computer, do you see a little hand on it? If you dont see this, just right click on the folder, you should see a Sharing Tab, in there just click Share this Folder.

Yeah, I see the little share hand on the folder. Everything is setup like it should work. You would think that windows networking would be a little easier than this.

"Simple File Sharing"? = Yeah right.

KingOfHearts said:
Dnoch,

2. Pro
4. Router

KOH.

It does not seem to be the exact problem that I had but here are two suggestions.

1. When you select a file to be shared, you should have a security tab in properties, make sure you have allowed the other computer to be share the file.

The second suggestion, i am afraid will have to wait a day or two, as it is pretty complex and I do not remember it iff hand. When I am back at my own computer (im away at the moment), I will post again with my other idea.

What I would highly recommend you do is to call Microsoft Technical Helpline, they are the one's who helped me and they are brilliant. They will stay in touch with you constantly untill the problem is solved. Sorry I am not much help at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom