Anyone familiar with Netgear Router Setup??? (need HeLp configuring router!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawan AbuSalman

Daemon Poster
Hi,
I have recently purchased a WGR614 Wireless Router and need to set it up on my desktop to be able to share internet with another computer (wired) and a laptop (wireless)

The type of internet I have is Broadband...(the company installed an antenna on my roof and they extended a cable from the roof to my lan card...when the cable is plugged, it sais 10mbps LAN Connected...
the speed of my internet is 256k though...

Anyway....they gave me an IP address, subnet mask, default gateaway, and DNS server settings to enter for it to work... Then, I should go to a page and loging with my username and password (the page is the DNS Server number (xxx.xxx.x.x) then :8080/home (so it is xxx.xxx.x.x:808/home)

There is a field which sais Username, next to it theres a drop down menu whcih you can select from your ISP (in my case, @terra.net.lb)
(there are 4 different ISPs, you select the one which you are taking internet from) and then the password...I noticed though that if I dont choose any ISP name (leave the drop down blank)from the list and instead, type my username FOLLOWED by @terra.net.lb (instead of choosing it from menu) it also works...
(so basically, all i need to enter is (MY USER NAME)@terra.net.lb and my password

NOW THE PROBLEM IS that I couldnt access the internet using the router....I tried using the Wizard that came with the router (on the CD) but it didnt work...(it worked at the beginging but then it said no internet connection detected..)

I then read some where in the files on the CD that I could type ROUTERLOGIN.net/basic settings or something like that...

i did and I configured them with the given IP and DNS and stuff and I aslo said that it required a username and pass and entered them...BUT STILL DIDNT WORK!!. (I entered the username@terra.net.lb)

Any help is much appreciated....

Thank you

Rawan Abu Salman

You should be able to access the router through your browser by it's IP, 192.168.1.1 or whatever it is.Plug your computer into the routers port 1 and do an ip config renew, dont forget to erase that static IP he gave you and set your card to auto config ip's.

also write the # down be4 u erase it u will need to put it into the router. :)

thank you for your reply...

i did that and it turned out to be the same as www.routerlogin.net...

i tried entering the IP and dns and username and password...but still didnt work...!!!

please, any help!! im desperate here!! and i really need to make it work very soon!!

thanx in advance...

I'm kinda intrigued by this setup, do you have a modem?

What ISP is this?

hey...i just tried something and it worked...

when i login into the netgear setup, it asks: "Does Your Internet Connection Require A Login?"

i used to put yes and enter the login username/password...and then, there is a place where it asks:
internet ip address: get dynamiclly from isp OR use static ip address... i enterd the ip address they gave me here...

below it< there is the same question but for dns and as above< i entered the dns server address they gave me>>>

here< it used not wok>>>

but then< i tired puting "no" on "does your internet connection need a login?" and another thing is displayed; of course, ther eis not place whic sais enter user / passowrd... but there is the following under IP ADDRESS:

Get Dynamically From ISP
Use Static IP Address

IP Address (you can enter it here)
IP Subnet Mask (you can enter it here)
Gateway IP Address (you can enter it here)

AND FOR DNS:

Get Automatically From ISP
Use These DNS Servers
Primary DNS (you can enter it here)
Secondary DNS (you can enter it here)

the difference is that now< i can enter the subnet addres sand the defualt gateaway address (which there was no place to do so when i cose YES for "internet requires login"

i entered these as they gave them to me; and i opened internet explorer and tried to go on the itneret< it automatically opened the web page where i have to login (the DNS:8080/home) and when i entered the username and password there:::IT WORKED...

BUT THERE IS STILL ONE PROBLEM; I NEED THE ROUTER TO do that for me; i will be sharing hte internet with other pcs and i dont want to give them the password nor wnat them to log in each time they turn on their computer; when i was searchign for a router to purchase it, i purchased this netgear model because it said in the description that if your internet requires a username and password< you can enter them and the rotuer will automatically enter them for you....

i tried connecting my lptop to the router (through wired lan) and it worked...but i couldnt open any internet site before i went in to the webpage (dns:8080.home) and sign in...and then the internet was working on both computers....

so basically everything worked except the automatic sign in...I need to get the router to do that....shouldnt that be do-able?

thanx
Rawan

it should, but honestly ive never seen a broadband connection that required you to go to a web page.ive seen them have login icons like dial up, but never like yours.what isp is it?can u link me to thier webpage?

ya sure...its www.terra.net.lb
there are about 4 or 5 ISPs here which are liscenced to give internet (www.cyberia.net.lb, www.idm.net.lb...)..and if you visit their webpage, you notice that they have the same services an same prices...(dont ask me why!!?) . they are also in some partnership with another company called GDS (globalcom data services i guess) which, if im not mistaken, is the compnay that gives these ISPs the infrastructure (ie, the wireless antenna reception and so...)

thank you for your help...

NB: The internet im taking is not the wireless one with monthly limits (1.2 gb or so...) it is the one which you pay 45$ for 128, 100for 256k ,and 175 for 512k (VERY VERY EXPENSIV>>>>I KNOW!!! ;)

seems to me they have set up in essence a huge lan, im not sure you can get around the signing in,they're site doesnt have alot of info.maybe on the comps you can tell windows to remember the password so it will log in automatically.

i tried connecting the laptop wirelessly to the router and it worked (just one thing...why cant i see my desktop when i go to my network places ont he latop?? i need to be able to access files on the desktop by the laptop (and vice versa)...where can I change that settign??

but still, it is requiring me to log in...and this could be a problem because it is sometimes automatically loging of...I noticed it when i visiting a webpage whcihc took too much time to load so i went int othe page where i have to login (dns:8080/home) and i wasnt logged in...it told me to login...
any help is much appreciated...
thanx...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom