answer me this.. LAN cable DOESNT WORK with certain PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clever_j

In Runtime
Hi guys

I was mistified this afternoon at a problem my client had..

I setup the networking for his office, it's a fairly simple setup, with one router and 2 computers..

a 3rd computer came it, and when they tried to connect the 2nd LAN/UTP cable to it (from one of the computers), the cable is NOT BEING DETECTED.. As in NO indicator light on both the router and the LAN port of the new PC.

But connecting the cable back to the other computer, as well as my laptop, it was working perfectly fine...

ANd i had a tester on it (which lights up 1 to 8 LED lights to indicate proper connection on all 8 lines of the UTP cable)... and it passed without a glitch..

then connecting that same cable back to the new PC... it just doesnt work.. as if the line is cut.. no detection anywhere...

then a guy brought in ANOTHER utp cable to try and IT WORKED (router+new PC)..

so i was stomped.. how come my UTP cable works for lots of PC except for a certain HP desktop computer.. where the HP desktop computer works with my router through a DIFFERENT UTP cable..

I thought there was something wrong with my cable/or RJ45 crimping.. so i re-crimp the tips.. and still no luck... same situation..

and here's an even weirder part..

I know my crimping tool needed replacement as it barely makes good cuts now.. (its old).. So just doing for the heck of it, I re-crimpted my UTP cable using the other guy's crimping tool, and boom... my cable it works now!

Isnt that weird???!!!

My broken crimping tool makes good UTP cables for most computers except on some.... i dont see the logic in it.. UTP cable connection's all about conductivity where electricity flows through the lines, which is made sure by my network tester.. and the fact that it works flawlessly on the other computers..

I really cant think of any THEORY to make reason out of this account..

any ideas?

Hi guys

I was mistified this afternoon at a problem my client had..

I setup the networking for his office, it's a fairly simple setup, with one router and 2 computers..

a 3rd computer came it, and when they tried to connect the 2nd LAN/UTP cable to it (from one of the computers), the cable is NOT BEING DETECTED.. As in NO indicator light on both the router and the LAN port of the new PC.

But connecting the cable back to the other computer, as well as my laptop, it was working perfectly fine...

ANd i had a tester on it (which lights up 1 to 8 LED lights to indicate proper connection on all 8 lines of the UTP cable)... and it passed without a glitch..

then connecting that same cable back to the new PC... it just doesnt work.. as if the line is cut.. no detection anywhere...

then a guy brought in ANOTHER utp cable to try and IT WORKED (router+new PC)..

so i was stomped.. how come my UTP cable works for lots of PC except for a certain HP desktop computer.. where the HP desktop computer works with my router through a DIFFERENT UTP cable..

I thought there was something wrong with my cable/or RJ45 crimping.. so i re-crimp the tips.. and still no luck... same situation..

and here's an even weirder part..

I know my crimping tool needed replacement as it barely makes good cuts now.. (its old).. So just doing for the heck of it, I re-crimpted my UTP cable using the other guy's crimping tool, and boom... my cable it works now!

Isnt that weird???!!!

My broken crimping tool makes good UTP cables for most computers except on some.... i dont see the logic in it.. UTP cable connection's all about conductivity where electricity flows through the lines, which is made sure by my network tester.. and the fact that it works flawlessly on the other computers..

I really cant think of any THEORY to make reason out of this account..

any ideas?

Is your router 10/100 switch port? What about the computers NIC, are they 10/100 or 1000Mbps?

Is your router 10/100 switch port? What about the computers NIC, are they 10/100 or 1000Mbps?

they're all 10/100 . and besides.. everything was fixed, simply by crimping it with another tool lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom