Another question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcfay

Beta member
How do I tell what speed my computer is downloading at.

I checked satelite internet and the less expensive setup is 512/128 kbps. Is that faster than my dialup would be?

The main thing we want is to be able to watch vidios once in a while and use the net without tieing up the phone line.

Hello,

Are you currently on dialup? If so the max speed you can get is 56K. That is the top speed of dialup. But at the best i always connected at 33.6K/s when i had dial up all those years ago.

Use something like Speedtest.net to test your speeds.

Yes the satelite would be faster but that is expensive to setup. Around $500 or more to get it installed and setup on top of the monthly charges last time i looked into satelite internet.

Cheers,
Mak

Thanks for the answer. I can get set up for 199. through Dish network and 49. a month. I figure with daughter sharing it would only be a little over 25 for each of us with tax.

Hubby just wanted to make sure it would be faster than what we have now. We are with Netscape and daughter cannot get Netscape with her computer because Vista does not recognize it.

Yeah it would be a good option then. Would have to get a router and setup a small home network to get both PC's on the net. But that isnt that hard. We can help with that.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom