Alternative to wireless zero service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainstushar

Baseband Member
Recently, I ran into problems of having 2 different wireless networks with same name. Windows can't distinguish between them (though they do have diff. mac address) So my question is that is there a program that allows me to manage my wireless connection (connect to X) and is the program a little advance than wireless zero (built for advanced users/nerds)?

Thanks.

Rather than using a different service, would it not be possible for you to plug into your router with a wire, log into the router, and change the SSID to something unique?

that is the problem you see. I am on a laptop and i can only use wifi. I am not allowed to control and change the settings of the router. So the problem still remains: alternative to wireless zero service.

thanks

If you are not able to change the router settings, are you connecting to a router that is on someone else's network??

i am not on someone's network. The problem is that i don't have access to my home's router. Meaning that my parents have the access and i don't. and they don't want to change the name of the router b/c they are using a cable (network cable). So back to it: alternative to windows wireless zero.

thanks for support.

It wasn't like I fixed it... It was more like the other guy who had the same name as my network just disappeared... He probably moved or something.

So in netstumbler, instead of seeing 2 entries, i see 1 now.

Sorry, that is not the real solution, but i have no problems.

Ah, so it was a neighbor with the same SSID? I would have to imagine it was set to the default SSID. That's why it is a good idea to change the SSID, enable security, and also disable broadcast of SSID.

Yep, i had no access to change my router settings and i couldn't knock on someone else's door and say "Hey, change your SSID!". Thanks for the support.

OFFICIALLY CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom