Alright more wireless questions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
From a wireless n00b.

Okay now i know Peter told me about the Linksys WRT54GL or something like that. But sadly i have not had goo luck with Linksys in my past. Basically every router either died or had to be reset daily. Now i do not want to go thru that again this time.

So i have been looking at some DLink routers which i have had great luck with. But sadly i do not know if a single attenna router with a 5Db gain would reach about 50' away thru at least 1 wall.

So what are some thoughts on this??

My past 2 "home situations" with Dlink:

Most recent:
DIR-655
Used in an apartment built in the 20s and remodeled "somewhat". The walls were still original plaster though. Worked great anywhere in the 5 room apartment. Very strong signal. I even used it outside the apartment in the parking lot. I used it for about 1.5 years until finally it would reset every 2 minutes by itself. Funny thing is, it never acted up until I upgraded the firmware. Once I did that, it would get extremely hot and reset all of the time. I replaced it with a Linksys VPN router that I just had lying around. But all in all, it would a fast, reliable device. Never had to reset it really.

Previous:
DGL-4300
This was also a great device. It's still being used since I bought it almost 2 years ago. It's reliable and sometimes has to be rebooted, but not often. It does have to be rebooted once you make simple changes. I didn't like that, but whatever. I have 1000ports on all of my equipment and that's mainly what I was after. So, it is being used in a townhouse in Baltimore, MD right now by my brother. His house is OLD. Plaster walls, THICK plaster walls. It is up on the second floor and he uses his laptop with an internet intel wireless chip. He never has problems with the signal. I also tested in the basement and the signal was about 50%. It still worked great though with his intel internal Wi-Fi and my external Linksys 802.11g SRX card that I bought a long time ago.

I hope that this helps.

Thanks Doc. That helps alot. At least i have some ideas about some ranges on the routers. I just have to choose one now. :p

To be honest, I personally liked the DGL series better. The only downfall was having to reboot even after the simplest of changes. By simple, I mean extremely simple. A good example would be changing the admin password. It would force a reboot :) LOL. Perhaps things have changed in the latest firmware revision though.

I currently have a DGL4100 and love it. I am not worried about the reboot after changes as i dont do many changes. I get it setup and leave it alone for the longest time. :p

So i am looking at the DGL personally as i do not have a use or a need for a Draft N router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom