Almost invisible computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
Can't ping it, can't RDP, PCAnywhere doesn't connect, can't use ZEN Works to get to it. No firewall installed. It shows up in our container and registers correctly, but I can't connect to it remotely. Remote connections are enabled. I haven't tried WebEx yet. It's frustrating because sometimes we have an issue that a vendor has to work on and if they can't connect to the PC they can't do much. I have tried moving it to different locations so it is on a different switch with no luck. We are all on 1 LAN segment here except for three offsite clinics. This PC has the same IP range and subnet as the rest of us here. Other computers in that office I can connect to no problem. It gets on the internet fine, connects to network drives and shared folders with no issues. I can sit at it and remotely control other PC's. It's like it's invisible to the rest of the network. It shows up in the workgroup, but it is "not accessible". Can't share a printer either. Ideas?

xp, vista, 2K?

edit:
can you ping the 'invisible'?
has it been added to your DNS?
can you remote using the IP instead of netbios name?
you said 'workgroup' so i will assume no active directory?
what about adding to your HOSTS table? ...dunno what o/s you have...

XP Pro SP2
can't ping it. can ping others using it though.
It hasn't been given its own DNS entry, we use DHCP
no
no, Novell
Haven't tried that, but that would require adding to every PC that wants to connect to it.

Not a network guru by ANY means, but have you forced an IP/subnet on it? I've had to do that on some printers to get them to work and i just chose an IP that i know an office computer won't use. Say in a range from 2 - 50 i would make the printer IP 49 when there are only 20 computers - this way even w/ a static IP i know it won't ever get that high of a number.

I've read this thread a few times and can't really think of any solutions - just so you don't think people are just ignoring you :)

I have tried giving it a static IP and that doesn't work either. This is bizarre. Thankfully this PC is going to be replaced by end of year so it won't be a problem after that. But I hate not being able to figure this out. I am sure a complete format/reinstall will fix the problem and it's probably a software issue since there is a LOT on this thing.

haven't tried that either since it is working. Albeit in a one directional kind of way.

Replace it and see if for some reason it is a hardware issue. They are super cheap to replace, and would be worth giving a try IMO.

I'm guessing the pc would have been part of a mass order, in which case the NIC card and drivers would all have been the same, so it's doubtful the problem is being caused by driver conflict. Still worth reinstalling the drivers in case of corruption (albeit VERY strange corruption)

The way I'm reading this is packets are allowed into the pc, but are blocked on teh way out. BUT packets originating from the pc are let through. It might be worth testing whether the pings you send from other pcs actually get to the pc. Try to find out where on the line they fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom