All downloads corrupt, nothing helps, getting ****ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neontra

Beta member
I have had this problem for oh, 6 months? I live in the county. No, I can't get that awesome DSL. I use satellite. My ISP refuses to help with the situation so I ask you guys. So, EVERY time i download ANY file of ANY size (1 kb or 1 gb) it is corrupt. I mean more than 4/5 the files are broken. I need help urgently because I just received a new video card but the driver is over 100 mb so it's ****ing me off. I did'nt get a disk with the card. I can't stand it, i've tried about 8 different routers and no luck. I've basically tried nerw everything (even bought a new computer) but no help. I hope you guys can help.

That is a problem with your ISP. It is not any hardware on your side that is causing this. If they won't help you, I'd look at getting a new satellite provider.

Not necessarily an ISP issue MoM, for instance some years back the nVidia firewall software that came OEM with their chipsets used to bork HTTP downloads. It's also a question of how he connects to the internet from that computer and the actual method of download, OP, are these all HTTP downloads i,e direct from websites or does it include stuff like Torrent downloads as well? Have you tried using a download manager or a different browser to download?

Common things that bork all your downloads. Nvidia Firewall (Hey, happened to me personally, never again am I going to try that out), AV, CORRUPT RAM, dieing hard drive, bad SATA/IDE cables, overclocking, worn out motherboard capacitors.

So, here is what you NEED to do, fully test all your system RAM using memtest86+, test each stick alone, then in different combos with each other. You also need to run chkdsk /r on the drive you download to. Last but not least, run Prime95 for a few hours to check for system stability.

As i did say, i've even tried on a few computers including a new one and i've done ram tests multiple times not uncovering anything. What 'im actually trying to do is download a driver for my nvidia card I got which didn't come with a disk. i've tried connected to the router(s) using both using a wired connection and wireless interrnet. I've tried over 3 cables and 5 wireless ones. No luck. i've also run check disk a few times with no luck either. I've tried dwing with chorme, saffari, i.e, and firefox. All the same thing. i've tried dwing directly from nvidia.com about 12 times and other websites about 10 times. I have tried with and w/o a dw manager and all the smae. What's weird is that my neighbors using the same ISP have no issues. i'm starting to wonder if it's thwe dish they gave me (but what's weird is they;ve given me to different dishes with the same issue.

Here's the specs of all the computers i've tried.
First
AMD Athlon x2 @ 2.2GHz
2gb DDR2 ram
160gb HDD
Nvidia 8400 GS

Second (laptop)
Intel Core i5 @ 2.6GHz
6 GB DDR3 ram
600GB HDD
Onboard ATI Radeon 4870 (I think)

Third
Intel Core 2 Quad @ 3.33GHz
4GB DDR3 ram
1TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 295 (The card i'm trying to install)

Fourth
Intel Pentium 4 OCed @ 3.8GHz
4GB DDR2 ram
160gb HDD
Nvidia 8800GTS 320mb

Fifth (netbook)
Intel Celron @ 2.0GHz
2GB DDR2 ram
160gb HDD
Intel onboard graphics (unknown of exact type)

All with the same issue.
Now for routers i've used
Netgear N900
Netgear N150
Netgear N300
Linksys E4200
Linksys E3200

All with the same issue.

It sounds like you either a problem with your ISP or you have a wiring issue. Check all the connectors at the satellite dish, where it comes into the house and at any junction box that maybe installed. Look for corrosion, dry-rot, splits, cracks, etc... if you find any damage repair or replace as required. You should also check out the dish itself for damage.

The only thing I can think of, is as slay said, or your dish has been thrown off enough to cause some serious packet loss. I normally get 12-20% packet loss, and my dish has a signal strength of 190/200 (150 is minimum allowed during setup). And I even have issues with a few downloads going bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom