Airprinting to an HP P1606dn from Ipad

jmeier337

Beta member
I work for a school. I purchased an HP p1606dn because it was on the list of airprint supported printers. When I set up the printer for first use:

I don't connect it directly to a router, it connects to an ethernet port on the wall. It pulls an address of 192.168.16.129. I change the address manually through a web browser to a wireless address 10.150.128.203. Our subnet for the wireless network is 255.255.0.0. Default gateway is 10.150.0.1. I change the address because all of our ipads are on the wireless network address range.(Airprint only works if devices are on same network)

Once the address gets changed to a 10.150.*.*, the printer does not appear to be on the network at all. No pinging going through, etc... I have the most recent firmware, drivers, IOS 5.1.1 on my ipad.

I was thinking that it is a switchport issue of some sort. Any ideas? I'm still learning the network of this, my new IT job.

Should I just purchase a wireless adapter for the printer?:annoyed:

well, i would be willing to bet that the switchport that you are pluging the printer into is not on the same vlan as the wirless network. You would need to have the network admin switch the vlan on the port that you are pluging into to the correct vlan( i would recoment this) or go get a wireless adapter for the printer. If you go the wireless adapter route you might have issues with air print though. Good luck!

well, i would be willing to bet that the switchport that you are pluging the printer into is not on the same vlan as the wirless network. You would need to have the network admin switch the vlan on the port that you are pluging into to the correct vlan( i would recoment this) or go get a wireless adapter for the printer. If you go the wireless adapter route you might have issues with air print though. Good luck!

Thanks bob for the reply,

That was the issue. We rectified that last week. Thanks for the info nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom