aim don't work with cable internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyau1

Solid State Member
hi everybody this is my first time posting and i hope i don't offend anybody. I just got Comcast cable internet and it works perfect, but when i network it with the linksys router, internet slows down like by a bunch and the aol instant messenger doesn't work. So i went out and bought the linksys modem and the problem still persist, please if anybody know what's going on here please help me out thank you

Kelvin :)

The problem is not with your cable modem, it could be your router.

go into your router setting by typing 192.168.1.1 into your browser.

User name should be admin
password should be admin

go to security tab and make sure AOL parental control is disable.
go to advance/filter and make sure port 5190 to 5193 are not being filter.

Easiest way is to just click the reset button on the router to the factory default.

Connect your computer straight to the modem. Check your CPU and memory usage in task manager to make sure your computer isnt being bogged down with virii.

This will eliminate your router and computer as the culprits of your slow internet connection. If you still have a problem with your internet connection, call up comcast they should be able to check your modem from their office to make sure it is working properly.

thank you everybody when i get back i will try to see if it resolves the problem

Make sure you change the password and turn off wireless if your not using it. I cant stress how important it is to do that or at set up MAC address filtering!

it didn't work and i don't know what i did but now the internet don't even work when i plug it to the router please need help

Did you call Comcast? If you are actually having modem problems, they should be able to tell you whats going on.

It is still possible, though that you are having problems with virii, etc. Make sure you have up to date virus scanners, etc.

o i forgot to mention i'm using the linksys modem too. The modem works fine it's just that when i get it through the router it doesnt' work

So let me understand this properly... When you connect your computer directly to the modem, your internet works fine, but when you use the router between the modem and your computer it slows down and aim won't work.. is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom