ADSL Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

billiegirl

Baseband Member
I wondering if anyone can help my friend she having issues with adsl.

She got adsl 2 weeks ago, and haven't been able to stay connected to the net. The longest it has stayed connected is 2 hours. After constant phone calls to dod support and borrowing another friends tower, it came down to the fact that they needed to update USB drivers. She rang up a computer store and was told it sounded like they needed a PCI card installed and the drivers updated.

She rang them yesterday they tell her they don't need it, just an external 2.0 hub.....which she bought. Last night they connected immediately and it was all good, but 2 hours later it disconnected and the puter froze. Today she has managed to reconnect, but she sure it will go off soon.

She has checked "settings" and "systems" and the USB tab is not showing that She has the new 2.0 installed, it still says "standard 7001...blah, blah". I'm sure if ur puter has 2.0 it should say ënhanced"in there somewhere.

So what am is she missing??? What haven't she done??? What does she need??? She about ready to turf the whole lot and buy a new puter.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers :D

what kind of modem? also, disconnect any other USB devices (except mouse/keyboard) see if that helps but would be better if knew the computer specs (MBD type) and the modem. May want to update the MBD chipset driver. also, any light indicators flashing??? check event viewer to see if errors are reported. try reinstalling the DUN. also what happened when she used another system? tried another modem? what happened if she did?

Thanks killians I let her know and find about more about her comp specs, all I know she has windows 98. I let you know.

Cheers :D

OK I got this email from her:

OK, here is an update.............I took the computer into the shop again and told them I wanted to have a PCI card put in and the drivers updated to USB 2.0. This is what was done.

I brought the computer home yesterday, connected, but 3 hours later it disconnected and wouldn't let me re-connect. What I have noticed is when I try to reconnect the grey box stays stuck on "disconnecting"and I have to shut the computer down and reboot. Usually after a reboot, it will connect right away, but never stays on for long.

When I hooked up to my friends computer, it ran like a dream. No disconnections, and my friend had to fight to get her tower back.....lol.

The computer is an Acer Aspire 6362R.
Windows 98 SE
DSL-200 Modem
No lights flashing.

Not sure which way to turn now.

Thanks

Any help would be great cheers :D

download latest driver here:

http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/drivers/files/modems/dsl200.htm

disable power saving features (they can cause problems especially in win98)

when installing the new drivers, uninstall the old first, shut down and disconnect the modem. then reinstall the modem and reconnect. Also, make sure to install any patches BEFORE installing the driver. Finally, upgrade the MBD chipset drivers AND the bios. Make sure she has someone who knows what they're doing upgrade the bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom