Ad hoc won't connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ

Solid State Member
Ad hoc won't connect

Hi,

newbie I know and believe me I used search.
I looked at this rather bad thread and this far better one.
Now I am trying to setup ad hoc so my Nintendo Wii can access the internet, I checked and my laptop (win xp sp2) has a 802.11b wireless card and the Wii has a 802.11b/g wireless module(Source). Therefore these are at least compatible. My laptop obviously has an ethernet card which is connected to the internet. I'd just buy a wireless router, but the contract doesn't allow that (allows ad hoc because it is considered a private wireless network).
Now I don't know where I'm going wrong, but I have a lot of screenshots
Please read the whole thread, I added a picture for almost everything, originally this was going to be a guide, but I failed. Oh well. Note that I made a mistake midway so retraced some steps to correct it, so please read the whole thread before posting a "you forgot to do this" message. Thank you.

First thing I do is go start > control panel > system > hardware > device manager > select wireless card > properties > advanced > set channel to "01"
link
Because of this

After that I right click the card and select "enable". So now I've got this in my Network Connections.
link

Next step I set up my wireless card for the ad hoc.
So I go properties > wireless networks > advanced
link

Now I want to add a new ad hoc network, so click on add and enter the details. I selected no WEP for the time being, I will add it once it works.
link link link

Now the properties window has the new network.
link

So I click ok, now my windows tries to connect. Note that I cannot see this network in my network list (only some other crap, probably from the printer right next to me), so I am unsure of what windows is trying to connect to. It is constantly trying to acquire a network address.
link link

At this point I was wondering about the TCP/IP settings. I assumed windows would automatically change those to something else.
link

So it is still set to automatically obtain an IP. On to the next step, setting up the internet connection sharing.
link

Clicking OK results in me getting a funny little error message... not that funny really.
link

Reboot time. Well after the reboot I still get the error message, and since I've already documented the steps. I'll just leave it. I removed the ad hoc network from the wireless card. Now I could set the ethernet to shared.
link

Now I setup the ad hoc on the wireless again. It is still constantly trying to a acquire a network address.
link

I decided to check the TCP/IP settings again, and behold windows has changed them.
link

I was just verifiying that everything is set up and I discovered this setting on my ethernet properties > advanced > ICS settings. Do I want to change anything here?
link

I didn't change anything there before and none of the guides told me to do so. So now it's on to the Wii. The pictures will be crappy. But before that, a reboot, just cuz.
I obviously don't know if any of you are familiar with the Nintendo Wii, but I hope someone can help and understand enough from the pictures.
Setting up a connection, I just took the first one.
link

Choose wireless.
link

Scan for access points, scanning and the results. Note that mine has 3 bars and is green and unlocked and all such.
link link link

Saving settings, then it tests the connection.
link link

Then it fails. I expected this though since I did not set an IP or anything.
link

Now I come to a menu where I can set things up.
link

Check SSID, selecting no encryption, obtain the IP automatically? **** No.
link link link

Now to set everything TCP/IP related up.
link

I set the IP to 192.168.0.2 (since my host is 192.168.0.1) and set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 (since that's what the host has it set to) and the default router as 192.168.0.1 (since it is the host).
link

Now to set up the DNS. I simply erased the standard value of 000.000.000.000 and left the fields blank.
link link

MTU I left blank. I thought no one uses this crap anymore?
link

Back at the start, so we click save and then get a message for the connection test.
link link link

And the error message again. Yipee.
link

While the Wii does the connection test the laptop's wireless constantly switches between connected and not connected.
Am I doing something wrong? Am I skipping a step? If anyone has a tip for anything I could try. Please oh god please post it.

EDIT: reformatted links, I guess thumbs aren't allowed?
Also could it be my firewall? I use Kerio Personal Firewall v2.1.5

RyanS said:
What contract says you can't use a wireless router? That is crazy...
Well I get the connection for free as long as I follow the contracts rules... one of them is no router...

baronvongogo said:
I thought you can buy a nintendo dongle like for the nintendo DS thats usb connection you just plug into your pc and it`ll have internet access via wireless.
Yes, but I was thinking why spend money on that if I can just set up ad hoc? Here's the thing though, I was going through the Nintendo forums and found a thread in which it says that the Wii and the DS cannot connect through ad hoc, they need a WiFi device that is set as master which Windows supposedly cannot do.
So now I am resorting to a ready-to-boot-up Linux which will hopefully have the necessary drivers for my laptop.

It's easy to say just buy the dongle, but I don't have 30 pounds to just throw out for something like that if I could set it up for free.
I just read that someone managed to set up his DS via ad hoc, this leads me to conclude that it should be possible to set up the Wii as well, now if I only knew how.

I don't have a router, that's my real problem, because I get the connection for free (and I can't even max it out, my card is only 100mbit) I abide by the contract. So what I've got is this:
modem -> laptop -> ad hoc
I tried setting it up with other IPs as well, just incase I used 192.168.2.x, but it made no difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom