Ad Hoc Network set up using Desktop+Usb adapter as router :)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jar23d

Beta member
I have this desktop with broadband/Lan ethernet internet connection and i want to use it as a router if i buy an inexpensive usb network adapter and then share my internet connection i should be able to connect to this internet using my other laptops in the house right? Anyone have any experience doing this? Will any usb wirrerless adapter work because i plan on spending less than 20 bucks on this project so i all the laptops in my house can have internet without hooking up the one wired ethernet cable to it(I dont think the ethernet cable connects to a router). Plz help

Your life would be much easier if you just bought a router. You can do what you are asking but the desktop would have to be on all the time or no internet for laptops. You would have to set up ICS (internet conection sharing). Plus usb wireless adapters are not the most stable of interfaces. If you wanted to go this route I would recoment getting a pci wireless card instead. <you should be able to pick up an older g protocal wireless router for 30 to 40 bucks. The extra money would be offset with less setup time and headaches and reduction of power bill and wear on the desktop with it being required to be on all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom