Active Directory server in a Virtual Machine

mwwwilson

In Runtime
I know that this question should be going to my professor, however being the weekend I doubt I would get an answer until Monday. I'm trying to get a jump start on this... so I'm asking in here.

I have installed Server 2008 Enterprise in VMWare on my Win7 PC. I actually made 2 virtual machines to represent 2 separate business locations. Now, my question is : when installing the Active Directory Domain Services role, do I install this role on both machines?

This is what I'm trying to set up. I'm trying to simulate IT admin practices in a fake racing company. I have one VM for the South branch and another for the North branch. I will be adding groups and users in each branch/VM. Do I install AD roles in both VMs? Also, I am wanting to add some applications to one branch and add the application role to the branch. Any problems with doing that?

Please help... and Thanks in advance members.
Mark W.

You can, but only one will be the GC. In order for both branches to appear and both to have the same data, you will have to activate AD on both. Make sure that when you set up your DNS that the one that is not the GC has the preferred DNS set to the actual GC.

Back
Top Bottom