Active Directory??? Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

delsol_ca

Solid State Member
Hey.. after looking almost everywhere - i'm so confused..
i'm setting up a network across my office so users have login and password method setup... and files are stored on a server for each user.. i finally enabled Active Directory (DNS + DCHP) on my win 2000 server... now how do i set up passwords and what do i install on my client computesr?

any help is appriciated
thanks in advance

create groups set the group policies and place users in them, in the user properties set the permissions and also set the passwords in them. You should see something to enter the users name (full name) then user logon, you will also see a place to set a default password for them. Recommend that you also choose the option to force password change on first log on, so that when they log in with the defualt password for the first time, it will have them change there password.

First off, AD is not something to setup on a Friday afternoon in a business environment.

If you are setting up a SOHO network you do not really need to go through all the fuss of creating logical and physical designs, however, it's not Windows NT. You can easily forget most of what you've learned about NT domains and stuff, it no longer applies.

Second, enabling DNS + DHCP does not enable AD. Activating AD is done using DCPROMO.

When that's been set up you can go ahead and configure the Active Directory.

In very short:

* Create Users, Global Groups and Computers in ADUC (Active Directory Users & Computers)
* For each Global (G) Group, create a Domain Local (DL) Group and put the Global Group into this Domain Local Group.
* Put Users (U) in the Global Groups so that the following structure is created:

A -> G -> DL -> P

(Accounts go into to Global groups, they go into Domain Local Group and they are assigned Permissions).

This is the Microsoft guideline.

Next, create shares on the file system and assign Domain Local groups permissions on those files within the share.

I would really suggest following Microsoft training of some sort, because AD is rather confusing if you don't get the hang of it.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom