Actiontec GT701-WG DSL Modem & Linksys WRT54G WiFi Router & Personal Web Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyStout

Beta member
Hi!
I'm using the subject mentioned hardware devices and I have been trying to set up my personal web server. I have an account at www.dyndns.org and it propogates to my IP address with no probs at all. When you go to the addy, instead of routing through the DSL modem with built in DHCP and NAT and linksys router with DHCP, NAT and WiFi to the open ports and running web server software on the server machine it brings up my DSL modems login dialog box instead. Yes, I have enabled port forwarding of port 80 to the destination IP of the machine running the server software through the DSL modem and yes, I have enabled port forwarding of port 80 to the destination IP of the machine running the server software through the linksys router. Do I instead need to port forward from the DSL modem to the router and then from the router to the machine or what the heck!?! BTW, I have tried that too.

Been trying for days all possible solutions.
Was even ready to just clean install XP again just to make things basic.

Any help greatly appreciated and thanks so much in advance and just for reading.

Laters
Marty

Marty it looks like your DSL modem is the router and the Linksys is the switch. I think your default gateway when you type into your browser will redirect you to the DSL modem configurations, which means the DSL modem is acting as the router. You could do 2 things here,
1) you could disable NAT and DHCP on the DSL modem and use the Linksys as the router and switch OR

2)you could disable NAT and DHCP on the linksys, reassign the LAN ip of the Linksys to .254 as the last octet of the address (example 192.168.0.254), this way the linksys will just be a switch and the computer will use the DSL modem to get it's IP address. Connect a straight through cable to the uplink port of the linksys to the ethernet port on the dsl modem. (the uplink port is part of port 1 on the router, make sure you use port 2 for your server).

Note: It's best to disable DHCP and staticly assign IP address on the server machine and configure port forwarding or DMZ for the server. Also remember you must ask your ISP for a static public IP address if you want to host a server (most dsl services dynamicly change your ip address)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom