Acquiring Network Address - ps I know nothing about wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominic

Baseband Member
I've just got an old laptop, and I bought this card for it, as it doesn't have wireless, but I've never been able to connect.

I don't have wireless personally, but I took it to a pub with wireless, and where other people were using it, and under 'network connections', the signal showed up as excellent, but when I tried to connect, it just hanged at the 'acquiring network address' stage... can you tell me what I need to do?

Not sure, but it could be a problem with the DHCP server on the wireless network part.

Also, since your card is 802.11b, make sure the wireless specification for their network is either 802.11g or b.

Most of the time, public wireless network are open and no security enable.

Law said:
Not sure, but it could be a problem with the DHCP server on the wireless network part.

Um, does that mean it would work in other wireless networks? Also would it only affect me or everybody?

Also, since your card is 802.11b, make sure the wireless specification for their network is either 802.11g or b.

Er, how do I do that? Also what other types are there?

Most of the time, public wireless network are open and no security enable.

Thank you for your help.

Your wireless card should only work in 802.11b/g WLAN. You'll have to verify that the public network is running the same specification by asking the administrator or whoever owns the public WLAN.

There is an old specification call 802.11a which isn't used anymore, however you'll still see it around. Current specification for WLAN are 802.11b/g and newest is 802.11n.

If this probelm was on their end, than yes everyone or some should have similar problem not be able to request an IP address using DHCP. Have you test it out maybe on another public WLAN? or ask around and see what type of card or security the other people who don't have the problem might be using that could differentiate you from them.

Um, I don't know.

I checked services.msc, and DHCP Client is listed as started... is there something else I should do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom