Aceessing a windows XP over the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

linux1880

In Runtime
Dear friends I have a Windows XP computer on my LAN which needs to be accessed ( on regular basis) over the internet via rdp or something that is supported by windows natively. I don't want to use logmein, teamviewer or such. Any advice would be greatful. Thank you

rgds

Thanks Hefemeister,

I do already have settings as mentioned in above links. I have a computer in my lan: 192.168.1.17. How do i access it remotely ? I mean what should I type in RDP client and what ports should i forward in my router ?

3389 is the default rdc port which would need to be forwarded to 192.168.1.17
btw you would want to make sure that ip is static so it does not change.

Next you need to find your wan ip. The easiest way is to go to What Is My IP Address? - IP Address Lookup, Internet Speed Test, IP Info, plus more.
This is the number that you would put in a remote computer to access your computer.

Finally you need to know if you have a static or dynamic ip given from your isp.
If it is static you are fine.
If it is dynamic which means it could change you would need to periodically check you ip setting as the ip entered into a remote computer would change.

If it is critical that you always have access to this machine I would change your service to a static ip with your isp which does cost more.
Generally your ip only changes when you turn off you modem for over an hour but you cannot necessarily count on this.

What router do you have?

Now if you want to remote into a computer from another computer on your lan all you would need to enter into rdc is 192.167.1.17

there are free dynamic dns services that assign a dns name to a connection with a dynamic ip. Some soho routers support this, I would check my routers documentation first. If it doesn't, then a piece of software has to be installed on a machine to detect and update the dns record. I've been told that a connection will not change its ip if a open connection is established. This would mean that its not going to drop your connection because it wants to change its ip.

No-IP - Dynamic DNS, Static DNS for Your Dynamic IP

DynDNS.com: DNS Hosting, E-mail Delivery, VPS Hosting and Other Services

Thank you so much, yes I have a static Ip and i could access one of my xp machine perfectly by port forwarding 3389. How would i access the other machine on the same LAN over the internet ? any help would be greatly appreceated. Thank you

Regards

yes but a few things also needs to be done.

You need to change the default listening port for rdc on the other machine.
How to change the listening port for Remote Desktop
default is 3389 so change it on that machine to something like 3379

Then you set up a port forward of 3379 to the ip of that computer.

then for fun lets say your external ip is 55.217.33.45.
from outside the network you would just type the ip to access the machine on the default port.
To get the other one you would enter 55.217.33.45:3379

Thanks Hefemeister,

I did change the registry on that machine for listening port no 3379. I did turn off all the firewalls, my machine LAN IP is 10.0.0.17, I can access that other machine on the LAN by typing 10.0.0.17 without any problem.

I did create a custom service 3379 on my netgear router and then assigned that servicce 3379 to 10.0.0.17 on inbound service.

I did went to other machine on the internet and typed:

my.ststic.ip.address:3379
x.x.x.x:3379

it says: The client could not connect to remote computer. Remote connection
might not be enabled or computer might be too busy to accept new connections.
It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection."

do i need to configure anything on rdp client ? Any help would be greatful. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom