Accessing a work server on work laptop remotely

moonsandstars

Beta member
Hello,

I have a work laptop, and I'm having trouble accessing the shared server and files when I am working remotely. I am connected to internet and can access my Outlook email. Any ideas on what I can do to connect? I use SAP, it's a Remote Desktop program on my laptop and I can access that with no problems. Do I need to set up something similar to connect to the shared files? Or is there just a setting prohibiting me from accessing the files? When I connect from home, I do have an error message that pops up saying that a certificate cannot be found. Any direction would be appreciated. I am fairly tech-savvy but when it comes to setting up a pc and this type of problem solving, I am at a complete loss! Thanks in advance.

We do have a remote client for SAP, but I'm guessing that it can't be used for any other remote programs. There is a “Remote Desktop” app... is it as simple as adding my desktop to that? How do I find the IPaddress for my computer? Thank you!

I really can't give any kind of advice until I know what kind of network setup we're dealing with here. Remote desktop would work if your remote computer IP is hitting the open net and the ports are forwarded etc. Most companies that provide or allow telecommuting provide a VPN connection to hit their intranet. This is something you would have to ask your IT guys for your company.

Back
Top Bottom