Accessing My computer remotely with Windows Remote Desktop from anywhere - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Accessing My computer remotely with Windows Remote Desktop from anywhere

I'm wondering because I have a netbook, an htpc (one that's hooked up to the tv strictly for streaming sports and watching my movies) and my desktop computer. I was wondering by chance, if I am on someone else's wifi network am I able to access my computers via windows remote desktop.

Thanksfor the assistance guys as always!

Old 03-29-2011, 07:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Accessing My computer remotely with Windows Remote Desktop from anywhere

mayby you can try TeamViewer - Free Remote Access and Remote Desktop Sharing over the Internet

Old 03-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Accessing My computer remotely with Windows Remote Desktop from anywhere

thx riefler
Old 03-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to TheDancingFetus Send a message via MSN to TheDancingFetus

Use Windows Live Mesh. It's built into windows live and is pretty good. Plus it's free.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Yes, its possible to Remote Desktop into your computer from anywhere there is an internet connection but sometimes it can be a bit confusing to setup and configure. I would recommend to check out DynDNS.com - Managed DNS, Domain Names and more! which is a DNS service that runs on your computer that you want to remote into and it keeps track of your IP address that is more than likely DHCP assigned by your ISP... and then of course be sure to open the ports on your windows 7 firewall, and also to forward the RDP on your router to your computer's internal ip address.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

thx as always guys for the suggestions
Old 04-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

I use logmein. As long as you have internet you can access any computer with it installed under your profile. It's free as well. I've heard great things about TeamViewer too. TeamViewer and logmein are the top free ones IMO. You can use RDP that is installed in windows but that generally requires configuration of firewall and the router to work. Teamviewer and logmein just work once installed.