Accessing IP web cams on LAN via internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

synthesitis

Baseband Member
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone on here knows how to access an IP webcam from outside the network. I got a cat and am using it to monitor behavior.

I'm using an HTC incredible that runs a program called IPcam. It starts an android webcam server. It is supposed to be accessible directly from the internet when it is on a provider's network; however, the phone is not attached to any mobile network. Just wifi. I've set up port forwarding on my router, but i'm not sure how to access it from outside my network. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

port forwarding setup the translation from public addressing to private addressing. you should now be able to connect to the webcam using your public address; note, this ip may change from time to time (dynamic dns help for this)

goto whatismyip.com while on the local (home) network
enter the address into the ipcam software to connect.

Thanks for the reply!

I did leave out that I have a comcast business account with a static IP. I've tried logging into it with the external ip - http://xx.xxx.xx.xx:xxxx format. But it always gives me a 404 error. It does work on the local network however. I'm stumped.

Also, the program doesn't seem to have software other than on the phone. I access it through a web browser java plugin. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom