accessing computer at home remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlkirchgessner

Solid State Member
we have a laptop and i was wondering how to access my desktop at home from different locations.
we use wifi and linksys connections when we are away from the house.
we have a simple workgroup setup with the laptop and the desktop with a couple of shared files at the house.
the laptop has windows xp media edition and the desktop is just the basic home edition. we have cable that comes through the external modem, to the router, then ethernet connection to the desktop and the laptop is wireless. I tried remote desktop but i can't seem to get it to work. do you need a password to be able to use that? or are you even able to use it with just the home edition? i shut down the firewall and still can't get it. remote assistance is nice but i want to be able to access the files when i want to without somebody being there to accept the invite. any help would be appreciated. thanks

setup vpn server on a home computer - WindowsXP VPN Server

configure port forwarding on your router - i forget which ones, the article above might have them listed

setup dynamic dns - www.noip.com or DynDNS.com: DNS Hosting, E-mail Delivery, VPS Hosting and Other Services

setup vpn client on remote computer using the dns name as ip address - WindowsXP VPN Client

you will be connecting to your home network via a VPN connection. you can do anything as if the machine you are working on was in the same location as your home network. You could run TightVNC: VNC-Based Free Remote Control Solution for remote admin, if needed. You can do file sharing through my network places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom