Access Point or Bridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanLedet

In Runtime
I've searched and found a lot of answers to this question...most are way over my head and go into detail about the differences between the two...i just need layman's terms.

If my computer has no wireless card, but an ethernet card, and I have a wireless internet set up, Do i need a bridge or an Access point?

If you have wireless internet, you need some way of connecting to it, meaning usually wireless router. Most routers will have a slot which the cable from your ethernet card will plug into (called an RJ45 connecter btw). All you need to do is...

1. take a straight-through lan cable, plug one end into your pc, and the other into the router (obviously making sure the pc and router are switched on)

2. Click Start/My Network Places/View Network Connections. Right click on your connection, and select 'Properties'. In the list below, find an option called 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' doubleclick and make sure its set to 'obtain an IP address automatically'.

3. Wait about 5mins, then press the 'windows key' and 'r' at the same time. Type cmd and press enter. Then type: ipconfig
If you see something like IP Address.................:192.168.1.100 you should be set, and you can try connecting to the internet.

No, our wireless internet is already set up with a wireless router. we have multiple computers already on it.

If we have a computer that does not have a way to connect wirelessly, do I need an AP to connect that computer to the internet?

A bridge connection between the pc with no wireless and one of the others already connected to the router would work. BUT it would be easier to connect the pc with no wireless straight to the router with a LAN cable. From the ethernet port on your pc to the ethernet port on the router. either way will work with no access point needed.

Check the wireless router. Soul was trying to say this. Most wireless routers still have ports for wired PC's. So while that PC may not have wireless you can still hook it up to that router.

Plus why not just get a Wireless PCI card and install it in the PC. Would save you money over buying a AP or Bridge or anything like that.

quick note: I don't think you can buy a bridge makaveli, you can just enable them. unless you meant a repeater or something. nehuz.
edit: wiki says apparently you can buy a bridge. wow.

My brother wanted this exact same setup when he moved away. So I did all the research for him, and even set it up for him.

What we did, was used a wireless bridge. However, all the bridges out there kind of sucked. So we bought a Linksys WRT54GL wireless router, and uploaded the DD-WRT custom firmware to it (It was very easy, and there are guides all over the place). This was ideal for him, as it allowed him to play his xbox and his computer over the internet, without having to buy additional wireless devices for his room.

I'm still confused..sorry...

ok...different scenerio...

What would I need to hook up my xbox online? I realize they have an adapter, but it's also way over priced. I have a wireless router across the house...i don't have an ethernet cable that i can run across the house...and i really don't want one.

The term Access Point confuses me because I thought you set it up and it grabs the wireless signal and you simply go from the AP to your computer/xbox...is that not right? if no, then what?

and, what is the difference between a wireless router and an access point? I'm looking at the back of a access point box and the directions say i plug the modem into the AP...I've already plugged the modem into the wireless router...

If i'm reading this right what you need is a wireless adapter for the laptop.

You will need a bridge to connect to the Wireless Router. Its very easy to setup.

You need to think of a router as more of a server because it performs many functions like a server. An access point only provides a portal for wireless client to connect to your existing LAN.

The role of an access point on a LAN or home network is to give the wireless user a door way to enter. The more people that enter the door at the same time the slower they will go.

Make sense now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom