Access List

Status
Not open for further replies.

justme

Beta member
I have a Netgear wireless router and have a security-related question about router setup. If I disable WEP but set up the router to only allow specific MAC addresses to connect, will my router be secure. I am not in a high-risk area, but I don't want to be stupid about security.

The reason I want to do this is that a particular device that I am using is not connecting very reliably. Despite being configured correctly, it loses wireless connection very easily. Seems to work better without WEP.

Thanks for the advice.

You should be fine, I don't see why you wouldn't be. But, if you start seeing lag, I'd stop it and try something else.

Yeah you should be fine, MAC filtering is not very common and will make people outside your house like me say WTF

I have the best wireless security though, my wireless router is too crappy to reach off my land.

EDIT: I head into my backyard and my wireless drops, and 2 people 300m away appears

justme said:
I have a Netgear wireless router and have a security-related question about router setup. If I disable WEP but set up the router to only allow specific MAC addresses to connect, will my router be secure. I am not in a high-risk area, but I don't want to be stupid about security.

The reason I want to do this is that a particular device that I am using is not connecting very reliably. Despite being configured correctly, it loses wireless connection very easily. Seems to work better without WEP.

Thanks for the advice.

Ok use MAC filtering, and WEP. But since you say you have signal dropouts, I would get some wireless network surveying software and I would adjust the antenna positions, to an optimal setup.

And just FYI, if you are at less than 1500ft away from a road or street, YOU ARE AT RISK!

Here is a little movie that you should watch showing you how important protection is on your network.
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=wifi

uzi9mm said:
I would use MAC filtering. WEP is SH!T. A wep key can be broken in under 2 hours.

Yeah plus mac filtering ticks me off and makes me angry (on other people's wireless) shows up with no security but I cant connect.

are 128 bit wep keys really that easy to break? Too bad my wireless intergrated card wont support the WEP crackers i tried to use, for my exclusive security test :)

My cousin cracked his WEP in 2 hours, and he tried to crack mine and it took him only 45 minutes. The reason it is quicker for him to crack mine is because I was using alot of bandwidth and the more packets that are transmitted, the quicker it is too crack it. Also note that all of this was done with a shitty p1 266mhz 96mb ram laptop.

45 minutes to gather packets, and 1 minute to crack the WEP.

The only way that WEP is secure is if you change it every 20 minutes.

Nice video uzi, I can't believe someone wouldn't at least change the default password!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom