Access home internet from outhouse at end of garden

Status
Not open for further replies.

RydeMyKella

Beta member
Hi All,

Really hope someone can help.

I am staying in a converted property at the end of the garden at my parents actual home. They currently have internet setup and are using two desktops with wired access to the router and a laptop with wireless.

'My Flat' (see very poor image below) is approx 100metres away from the router. I've tried gaining access to the wireless router on my laptop but I can barely receive a signal. I also have a live telephone connection in my flat.

<--------------------------------------------Approx 110metres---------------->
¦...........................................¦-------------------------------¦///////////////¦
¦...........................................¦@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@¦///////////////¦
¦---.......................................¦@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@¦/////-My-/////¦
¦.x.¦......-Main House-..............¦@@@@@@@-Garden-@@@@@¦////-Flat-/////¦
¦---....-'x' = wireless router-......¦@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@¦//////////////¦
¦...........................................¦@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@¦///////////////¦
¦...........................................¦-------------------------------¦///////////////¦

-What I've tried-

I had purchased an additional Netgear DG834G Wireless Router and after connecting that also to the same network as the one in the main house I have discovered you can only have ONE as the main Router on the same phone line. Therefore meaning I having to disconnect the router in the main house to gain access in my flat. I have been told that I need to make one of the two a 'Wireless Access Point' but am having trouble.

-The Question-

Is there anyway of me be able to access the internet in my flat without having to disconnect the router in the main house? Is creating the main router a 'Wireless Access Point' the best solution? If so, anyone know how? Any other suggestions?

Would really appreciate your help with this. Sorry for the lengthy explanation above.

Regards
Mix

Thanks for replying back Hefemeister.

Purchasing an additional piece of kit sounds like a good work around especially seeing as I can't get a refund for the second router I purachsed.

Is there anyway I can make use of the existing telephone line I have in my flat? The main house and my flat on the same line.

Thanks

Mix

Not without disabling it at the house as you do not what to do. If you shared power lines you could use those for networking but a wifi extender would be cheaper.

You could also run a ethernet cable underground into the flat. I realize there would be some work involved and you would need to burry the wire, but it would be the sure-fire way of getting internet in the flat.

And I will add if you do run an ethernet cable, the maximum length shouldn't exceed 100 meters. It might still run, but over distance loss is greater.

And I will add if you do run an ethernet cable, the maximum length shouldn't exceed 100 meters. It might still run, but over distance loss is greater.
Good call, so including some extra meters with running it through both buildings 100baseT wireling may not be your best option.

go to ebay and buy one of the 1watt 802.11g signal boosters.... you will need to make the cables or buy them. The unit I bought cost $109 ...works great. The 1 wat may be slightly illegal to use in residential, having said that I don't think the 1watt will cause any trouble...if you get the 2watt or 5watt you may get a visit from the FCC. I have tried other
commercial signal boosters and they still only broadcast maybe 200mWatt...the 1watt is the answer...I think it is also water proof...even if you have it inside it should still work. In the literature it says it will broadcast and pull in signals for 3/4 OF A MILE.

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll look around on Saxons site and also the 1watt thing on ebay. The direct cable will be a mission to have setup so probably isn't feasible.

Does anyone know if the 'Wireless Access Point' option will work?....and how to do it? Any resources anyone could recommend?

Thanks again.
Mix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom