"Access is Denied" for any new files added to my network. What gives? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 11:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default "Access is Denied" for any new files added to my network. What gives?

Running XP Pro on my desktop networked to a Dell laptop with XP Pro. Network had always worked fine. Since sometime in the beginning of October, anytime I add a new file to the network hosted by my desktop, the laptop is denied access, telling me that it doesn't have permission to view it, whether it be a whole new folder or just a file. I can view the contents of an existing folder containing a new file, and can access the existing files just fine, but I am unable to open anything recently added into said folder. I recently installed Kiero Personal Firewall, but the files are still denied even with Kiero shut down. I doubt that's even the problem. I didn't change any settings when the problem first appeared.

Does this make sense? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-14-2004, 03:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Make sure that with Kiero that you have the other computers IP in the donot block list. And make sure that you have the workgroup names the same. And also do you have Service Pack 2. If so this may be causeing a problem.

Old 10-14-2004, 11:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The workgroup names are the same, and I am NOT running SP2. The problem still exists even when Kiero is not open, so I don't think that's the issue.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

make sure that you have all the usernames on all the computers in the network. Also try uninstalling the tcp/ip protocol and reinstalling it.
Closed Thread