"Access is Denied" for any new files added to my network. What gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

travestyman82

Beta member
Running XP Pro on my desktop networked to a Dell laptop with XP Pro. Network had always worked fine. Since sometime in the beginning of October, anytime I add a new file to the network hosted by my desktop, the laptop is denied access, telling me that it doesn't have permission to view it, whether it be a whole new folder or just a file. I can view the contents of an existing folder containing a new file, and can access the existing files just fine, but I am unable to open anything recently added into said folder. I recently installed Kiero Personal Firewall, but the files are still denied even with Kiero shut down. I doubt that's even the problem. I didn't change any settings when the problem first appeared.

Does this make sense? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Make sure that with Kiero that you have the other computers IP in the donot block list. And make sure that you have the workgroup names the same. And also do you have Service Pack 2. If so this may be causeing a problem.

The workgroup names are the same, and I am NOT running SP2. The problem still exists even when Kiero is not open, so I don't think that's the issue.

make sure that you have all the usernames on all the computers in the network. Also try uninstalling the tcp/ip protocol and reinstalling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom