Access Denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kindanew

Solid State Member
I have been trying to connect two PC's through a wireless router and managed to f'd up my laptop logon. I think I changed from Domain to Workgroup and now cannot get into the laptop! I know I screwed it up, but don't know how to fix it. I'm sure there is some simple solution, but I am pulling out my hair. Please help!

Kindanew said:
I have been trying to connect two PC's through a wireless router and managed to f'd up my laptop logon. I think I changed from Domain to Workgroup and now cannot get into the laptop! I know I screwed it up, but don't know how to fix it. I'm sure there is some simple solution, but I am pulling out my hair. Please help!

If you know the local administrator account you can login using that account. If you were part of a domain, and now you are part of a workgroup, you must use a local account to login now, whereas when you were using a domain account, you were using that server's user database. Also, if you want to join the domain again, just right click on My Computer, go to Properties, then the Network Identification tab, then click Properties, and you can enter the domain name in there again.

Is there a default local (workgroup) account? I don't recall setting up an account in the workgroup, just the workgroup. I was propmpted to reboot after changing to a workgroup. I am not able to logon to the laptop at all (I am trying to obtain the local administrator password) because I do not know what account to use for logging in to under the workgroup. Any suggestions?

Kindanew said:
Is there a default local (workgroup) account? I don't recall setting up an account in the workgroup, just the workgroup. I was propmpted to reboot after changing to a workgroup. I am not able to logon to the laptop at all (I am trying to obtain the local administrator password) because I do not know what account to use for logging in to under the workgroup. Any suggestions?

There is no workgroup account, just local accounts on your computer. Default ones would be Administrator, and perhaps the Guest account, unless you have made some others that you know about. You will need to login as administrator, and then you will be able to create new accounts. Mind you desktop icons and all that will not be the same as when you were logging on using your domain account.

OK Brain, I appreciate your help so far, but when I set up the workgroup, I would obviously had an Administrator account set up by default (which I don't recall doing). I presume the ID would be "Administrator" - correct? Then, what would be the default password for the account? I don't think its blank, since I've tried that. Also, would I just type "Administrator", or would I preceed it with a workgroup name? Any particular syntax? Ideas? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom