About to jump over my router and throw every pieces in toilet

Status
Not open for further replies.

fadedstar

Baseband Member
Hello,

I'm kinda lost on this one and don't know what to do. I feel like the thing is not working anymore but it seems weird.

Router : DLINK DI-704UP (about 4 months old).

Everything was fine until I unplugged everything to reorganize computer room. Now, it looks like I can't use it anymore.

Problem : Can't access the web configuration interface anymore. Browser ain't connecting to 192.168.0.1 at all.

Weird : I can ping 192.168.0.1 and its working. I can also ping another computer connected on router and its replying.

Problem : Cable modem needs to be configured inside router since its not working so I need to access the **** interface!!

What was tried :

1) Resetting router (no help)
2) Trying new ethernet adapters/cables.
3) Jumping over it
4) Trying IE instead of Firefox
5) Disabling software firewalls

I might be wrong but it looks like its not even resetting. DHCP still assigns custom LanIP when I connect with proper MAC address... But hey, I don't know.

I'm just soooooooo tired to buy new routers every 3 months. They keep breaking on me and everything looks so cheap these days...

I hope I could save this one since its looks like its working, except and I can't access web config...

Oh, and when I bought this one, I flashed the bios with the latest one. As mentionned, this thing was working perfectly until is was unplugged.

any idea?

Try connecting to a lan port on the router with nothing else hooked up and do an ipconfig /renew

Yeah I tried connecting only with one single adapter (no WAN, no other computer) and using LAN 1 to 4.

I didnt try the ipconfig /renew. I only tried via windows with the Repair button, disable and re-enable etc...

its keeps reassigning me 192.168.0.101 (thats the IP i configured using the MAC address for my ethernet adapter... which make me believe its not resseting to factory default).

I have another ethernet PCI card in my cpu that I also tried and the DHCP gives me random addresses everytime (that MAC address wasnt configured)

anyway, im not home right now so I'll give it a try with the ipconfig /renew but I highly doubt it will help since it looks like im able to get connected already...

i'll keep your informed later tonight.

and im assuming the gateway is .1 and u can ping but can't access the web config.

maybe try setting a static IP

u have MAC filtering set up on it?

exactly, router is 192.168.0.1, I can ping but can't access web config.

I don't get your point.

Yes, I have MAC filtering set on it concerning DHCP. Simple setup at home (2 computers) and I like the idea of having static IP (with MAC filtering). So I am .101 and wife is .102 thats it...

everyting seems to be ok except :

1) Can't access web config (major pain in the ***)
2) Internet (cable modem) is not working (even major pain in the ***)

What you mean by try Static IP. That's what im already doing with MAC addresses? And it probably has no issues concerning actual problem..

MAC filtering and static Ip's are different.

if your able to do an ipconfig /renew and not get an error you're not set up for static IP's

Mac filtering only allows the mac addresses you specify to get an address from the dhcp server.

2 entirely different things

Yeah I understand what you mean, I simply used the wrong expression.

What I mean is I configured DHCP (back when I was able to access GUI) so my ethernet adapter is always assigned 192.168.0.101 (based on his MAC address).

So hey, I just tried the ipconfig /renew, it worked but hey, I still can't access the GUI on 192.168.0.1 (and yes ipconfig tells me its the good gateway)

I'm able to ping 192.168.0.1, which is soooo weird....

Status light on router is flashing and manual says that flashing status light = everything working fine...

ohhh really?

I'm clueless.

**Breaking news! : Router not resetting ***

I was suspecting this so with my limited knowledge, I still managed to experiment this :

1) start a continuous ping with this command :

ping -n 500 192.168.0.1

2) Try resetting modem during the process

Results :

(....)

No mather what I do trying to reset the modem (holding 5 secs, 10 secs, 30 secs, 1 sec.. pressing a lot and fast.. etc) I never miss a Ping/Reply so...

Conclusion : The reset button doesn't seem to work.

I think router is screwed... am i right?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

have u tried https?

it probably wont work but u can give it a shot

Did you try connecting to other addresses (192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, etc)? Mine (Netgear) uses NETGEAR Support Home Page for it's control panel. If your router doesn't seem to take to the reset, try pressing harder with a smaller object (might not be getting it all the way in, usually the hole for reset is pretty small). If that doesn't work, try taking apart the router (with a screwdriver, not by jumping over it and throwing the pieces in the toilet) and then find the reset switch. Plug the power and the computer into the router's board (router's run on like 12V, it won't hurt you to plug it in, 12V isn't dangerous). Then get a small screwdriver. Find where the reset switch is on the board, then find the two points where the switch contacts are soldered to the board. Touch a (metal, of course) screwdriver to both of them at the same time (this will do the same as pressing the switch, so if the switch is broken, this will still work). Look for the front LED's to flash or something, mine has a "checkmark" light that comes on when it's been reset or had a settings change.

Note that after resetting, it will go to defaults, so any IP changes will be discarded, and it will probably go back to 192.168.1.1 (or 192.168.0.1 if that was default). Default user/pass are usually "admin"/"password".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom