98-XP network problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

fais7

Baseband Member
I've got a older computer running on Windows 98 (second edition). I want to be able to share the data with my newer computer running on Windows XP. Internet[DSL, which I don't want to share] is connected to the windows XP machine. I've got a Micronet Switch box to create the network though I don't know what to do with it.

How do I set up the connection...??

Thanks!!!

I may be wrong, but I wonder...

If you have an ethernet connection in the 98 machine, and TWO network connections in the XP machine, I wonder if you can just share the connection in XP to grant network access to the 98 machine.

Make sense?

1 jack on 98 machine.
2 jacks on XP machine.

98 plugs into XP via jack A, then jack B plugs into modem for network access.

Don't hold me to it, I'm not too familiar with 98 anymore, but I would 'assume' that could work. I did it to my brother's computer with his xbox 360, however, we're talkin straight up XP there.

Right. I'm saying (assuming my suggestion is accurate) you'll need to add another ethernet jack via PCI card.

I know this works with XP machines, along with XP + Xbox360, because I've done this in both situations. But I don't know how 98 reacts to that... but I can't imagine it would have a problem networking to the XP machine as long as the XP machine is configured to share that connection.

You can get this to work without a 2nd network card.

Networking between WindowsXP and Windows95/98/ME

This tutorial above will show you how do do a point a to point b very simplified connection. The only difference is that you would just be connecting the network cables to the switch instead of each other.

Since you don't wish to share your internet connection and you just want to share your resources on your machine, you can just assign 2 ip addresses to the XP machine and then statically assign the 98 machine. So, it will look like this:

98: 192.168.1.5
Sub: 255.255.255.0

XP - 1st IP: Leave this main IP address dynamic so it et assigned by your ISP via your broadband connection.

XP - 2ns IP: 192.168.1.10
Sub: 255.255.255.0

You can change your network workgroups in 98 and XP to match each other in order to see each other easier, but you don't need to match workgroup names if you dont want to. Once you have the 2nd IP established on the XP machine and File/Print sharing enabled, you will be able to share resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom