802.11n Issues Windows 8.1

xxTrogdor

Beta member
Hello all,

Please help for I am at wits end. I can't seem to figure out why I am not experiencing the internet speed I am paying for.

Recently, a Time Warner Cable tech came to my house and proved to me that I am in fact getting a 50mbps download connection speed, through a wireless connection. 50mbps on his computer, anyway--not mine. I am only able to maintain a maximum speed of around 30mbps wireless, and most recently after tinkering around, only 11mbps.

I had thought my problem had to with the fact that my wireless adapter (TP-WN722N -see 150Mbps High Gain Wireless USB Adapter TL-WN722N - Welcome to TP-LINK), though capable of 802.11n speeds, seems to be permanently set for 802.11b preamble according to my wireless adapter properties on Windows 8.1.

There is no way to change this 802.11b preamble from the menu provided; my only option is to change it from "long/short" to "long only", or vice-versa. I can only imagine this could be why I am having an issue, but clearly I could be wrong.

Some obvious things to note:
There are no other wireless devices currently running in my house.
My TWC modem/router is set to handle b/g/n mixed wireless bands.
My TWC modem/router is set to channel 11, as advised.
My computer is only about 20 ft away from the wireless modem.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Have you installed the latest drivers for the wireless adapter from the manufacturer? Changing the driver can sometimes give you different options for the adapter.

Yes, I should have mentioned that as well. I downloaded the newest drivers from the manufacturer and installed them. I even uninstalled then re-installed them just to make sure.

Back
Top Bottom