802.11 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

petitemonk

Beta member
what is the diffrence between 802.11a, 802.11b and 802.. I am looking for laptops and some have A some G aome AB, you get the idea...

hum the a i think is 11Mbps the g is 54mbps. Again i think, get the g its the quickest. (i think) lol

the 802.11G is backward compatible with the 802.11A and yes vice versa. It does not matter. But the way things are going theres only a £5 difference in the 2. I now how 112Mbps wireless in my house, and its the same price as the 54Mbps. And actually come to think of it the 11Mbps was a similar price!!! lol... stupid really.

No, Horris. 802.11G is not backwards compatible with 802.11A. 802.11G is backwards compatible with 802.11B.

There are two main differences between the different standards. 802.11B and 802.11G both work in the 2.4 GHz frequency range, while 802.11A works in the 5 GHz frequency range. The second difference is the speed. 802.11A and 802.11G both have a maximum throughput of 54 MBps, while 802.11B has a maximum throughput of 11 MBps.

Also, since 802.11A runs at a much higher frequency, it will not have the distance that 802.11B/G has. Just something to keep in mind.

And 802.11g is not backward compatible to 802.11b. Allthough they are in the same frequency spectrum, they are on different speeds. Same analogy in the wired world, try to connect a 10Mbps client to a 100Mbps hub/switch :)

b = 11Mbps, 2.4Ghz band, range = 100-150Ft

g = 54Mbps 2.4Ghz band, range = 100-150Ft

a = 54Mbps 5Ghz band (currently no public hotspot), range = 25-75 feet

and A is incompatible with B and/or G. while B and G and compatible.

the range i mentioned is typical Indoor range.

A will might not flourish as the way B and G did, and as well you'll find very very less or even NO hot spots for A standard. while its more likely that exsisting B standard hotspots will convert into G soon, however both are compatible to each other (means you can run a G standard wireless card on B stabdard Wireless gateway, and vice verca).

hope A,B and G standards are cleared well.

@ Blind_Arrow:

"...however both [edit b/g] are compatible to each other (means you can run a G standard wireless card on B stabdard Wireless gateway, and vice verca)".

This is not correct, unless you mean using a b/g card on both AP and client. Don't expect a G only access-point to accept B only clients and vice-versa.

I have G Standard Router at my home, and my mates coming with B or G cards into their machines benefit from it at same time - Agreed.

I have as well used a G standard Laptop on B standard gateway - Agreed.

thats what I said. and as this is verified my by own observations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom