56k modem speed question

Status
Not open for further replies.

repoman

Beta member
i want to know if my 56k connection speed is at its fastest.

I think it's currently connecting at 3.5 kb's a second, as that's what it says when I download a mp3 file etc

transfer rate: 3.5KB/sec

I want to know if there's anyway to speed it up, shouldn't it be

transfer rate: 56KB/sec - as it's a 56k modem

56k usally downloads between 1-7kb/s

dont really think you can speed it up much, ur getting those speeds in p2p programs.

with direct downloads of the new if u use a download maneger called "get right" it "may" speed it up a bit

It all depends on how much your phone line can handle. I live in an area with old, outdated phonelines, so when I was on dial-up, I rarely saw it top 2.0KB/sec, most of the time it was closer to 1KB/sec.

What is not informed is that the FCC regulates the speed for a phone line for analog is max 55kbps,but what they are saying is ture the actual speed is about 1/4 that.

that is 56kbits/sec to get it into kbytes you need to divide by 8, so the most that you can ever get is 7kbytes, but there is always a bit lost.

I have 512kbits/sec the most I could ever get is 64kbytes a second, but I generally get around 60.

(edited due to spelling mistake)

Thats about right for a 512Kbps connection. DSL is much of the time much slower than typical cable as far as download speeds. However, I hear browsing is actually faster on DSL than it is with cable, despite the much less maximum bandwidth.

Also broadband is very expensive in the uk, along with 56k. for the main isp's for 56k it is about $30.

I find that pages load up instantly after clicking on them, but it is about the same at my school (the only time I use cable) when there isn't many people using it.

56kb=56 kilobit and 8bit=1byte and and then you gotta take off ~13%, but then there's the FCC regulation, so about 48kb

48 kb/8=6kb * .87 ~5.5kb/s or so, but then there's probably a limit on your speed (i.e. the person you're dling off on your P2P program)

and on a 512kb connection, 512/8=64 & 64*.87~ 58, so your speed is actually pretty good

beedubaya said:
Thats about right for a 512Kbps connection. DSL is much of the time much slower than typical cable as far as download speeds. However, I hear browsing is actually faster on DSL than it is with cable, despite the much less maximum bandwidth.

I have DSL and my P2P download speeds are actually quite a bit faster than my friends, who has cable. I'm also only paying $30 for 1.5MB DSL, by the way:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom